Re: [Rucus] [spitstop] Botnets, take 2... Re: Draft RUCUS charter

"Fischer, Kai" <kai.fischer@siemens.com> Fri, 22 February 2008 12:04 UTC

Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 13:03:53 +0100
From: "Fischer, Kai" <kai.fischer@siemens.com>
To: Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net, Signaling TO Prevent SPIT <spitstop@listserv.netlab.nec.de>, Jan Seedorf <Jan.Seedorf@nw.neclab.eu>
Cc: rucus@ietf.org, Juergen Quittek <Quittek@nw.neclab.eu>
Subject: Re: [Rucus] [spitstop] Botnets, take 2... Re: Draft RUCUS charter
Sender: rucus-bounces@ietf.org

> Let's take an example:
> When Henning's host is compromised and a bot is using
> Henning's account
> to send me spam then I would contact Henning (by using
> various ways) to
> tell him that something is wrong with his PC/phone/etc. I
> would not tell
> my VoIP provider that there is something wrong with Henning's
> account.
> Typically, this will lead to more problems rather than less
> -- such as
> no communication to Columbia University anymore because my
> VoIP provider
> just blocks all calls from that domain.
>
> (Just to reflect my experience with email problems in the company....)

I don't assume that the sender of spam usually is a person I personally
know and whom I want to contact directly (still more personal
disturbance and effort). Applying very restrictive white lists allowing
only personal known people to contact me may be yes, but I expect that
this is not usual scenario (I have no email white list).