Re: [Rucus] [spitstop] Botnets, take 2... Re: Draft RUCUS charter

Hannes Tschofenig <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net> Fri, 22 February 2008 11:51 UTC

Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 13:50:57 +0200
From: Hannes Tschofenig <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net>
To: Jan Seedorf <Jan.Seedorf@nw.neclab.eu>
Cc: rucus@ietf.org, Signaling TO Prevent SPIT <spitstop@listserv.netlab.nec.de>, Juergen Quittek <Quittek@nw.neclab.eu>
Subject: Re: [Rucus] [spitstop] Botnets, take 2... Re: Draft RUCUS charter
Sender: rucus-bounces@ietf.org

Hi Jan,

Jan Seedorf wrote:
> Dear Hannes,
>

>> I think we should put Henning's classification somewhere in
>> our documents.
>>
> I also like Henning's classification because it narrows down where the problem with botnets regarding SPIT is.
>

>>> - Uses credentials, spams addresses in addressbook:
>>>
>> whitelists don't
>>
>>> help, but at least the sender can be identified and
>>>
>> fixed/fined/taken
>>
>>> offline.
>>>
> I fully agree: this is the problem and the "compromised identity" then needs to be identified and blocked. One question then is, how can we share the identification of a not-trustworthy identity (as perceived by end-users or domains) among SIP-entities/domains. One building block I see here clearly is
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-niccolini-sipping-spam-feedback-00.txt

Let's take an example:
When Henning's host is compromised and a bot is using Henning's account
to send me spam then I would contact Henning (by using various ways) to
tell him that something is wrong with his PC/phone/etc. I would not tell
my VoIP provider that there is something wrong with Henning's account.
Typically, this will lead to more problems rather than less -- such as
no communication to Columbia University anymore because my VoIP provider
just blocks all calls from that domain.

(Just to reflect my experience with email problems in the company....)

> for giving users the possibility to indicate that some identity may not be trustworthy anymore (e.g., because it got compromised in the sense Henning describes above). Additionally,
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-wing-sipping-spam-score-01
> and
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-seedorf-sipping-spam-score-semantics-00.txt
> offer a solution for signalling such information between entities. Note that in the semantics draft we tried to point the importance of having a precise meaning associated with a SPIT score.

I haven't read draft-seedorf-sipping-spam-score-semantics-00.txt yet.
Comments later.

Ciao
Hannes