Re: [scim] Name Internationalization

n-sakimura <n-sakimura@nri.co.jp> Thu, 28 March 2013 06:31 UTC

Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 15:31:13 +0900
From: n-sakimura <n-sakimura@nri.co.jp>
To: scim@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [scim] Name Internationalization

familyName-SORT-AS is nice, but that probably does not bring us very far.

In many cases, a name may have multiple scripts representations.
ja-Kana-JP representation of the name is one such case, which happens to
be used for sorting.

So, IMHO, Tatsuo's proposal is more general and preferable.

FYI, OpenID Connect and OAuth Registration adopted this approach though
to comply with "flat schema for basic cases principle", we opted to
append the language tag after #:

e.g. name#ja-Kana-JP.

One possible variation on Tatsuo's proposal would be to adopt modified
BCP47 langauge tag (use "_" instead of "-") to make it possible to
reference it as a part of javascript names. e.g.,

"displayName": {
	"en":"<English alphabet representation>",
	"ja_Kana_JP":"<Katakana Representation>",
	"ja_Jpn_JP":"<Kanji Kana Mixed Representation>"
}

Nat

(2013/03/26 8:11), 関森信之 wrote:
> This discuss is very interesting. I think the current specification of
> name attributes is not extensible enough. Shelley has considered
> multiplicity of name attributes. I will show another issue of 'Name
> Internationalization'.
>
> As Tatsuo was saying; Countries using Kanji have various appearances of
> name. These countries need to consider logographic scripts and syllabic
> scripts, separately. In Japan, we use syllabic scripts 'Kana' for
> sorting, do not use logographic 'Kanji' scripts. If any name attributes
> have only logographic value, we are not able to sort as well.
>
> For resolving this issue, vCard adopts parameter 'SORT-AS'. I think this
> is a nice for SCIM. For example:
>
> "name": {
> "familyName": "logographic".
> "givenName": "logographic",
> "familyName-SORT-AS": "syllabic",
> "givenName-SORT-AS": "syllabic"
> }
>
> Thoughts?
>

> 2013/3/26 Tatsuo Kudo <tatsuo.kudo@gmail.com <mailto:tatsuo.kudo@gmail.com>>
>
>     I think most of attributes currently defined as "Singular Attributes"
>     in the schema draft should allow multi-valued ones as well for
>     non-English environment.  For example, businesses in Japan usually
>     store Kanji and Kana characters (cf.
>     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_writing_system) for almost all
>     attributes from name to department.
>
>     I prefer Kelly Grizzle's suggestion in his follow-up to my question
>     last month.
>
>     http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/scim/current/msg00926.html
>
>     And would like to apply it other than phonetic representation like:
>
>     "displayName": [
>          { "value": "<Kana characters>", "locale": "ja-kana-JP" },
>          { "value": "<Kanji characters>", "locale": "ja-JP" }
>        ]
>
>     Thoughts?
>
>     Tatsuo.
>

>     On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 2:41 PM, Bert Greevenbosch
>     <Bert.Greevenbosch@huawei.com <mailto:Bert.Greevenbosch@huawei.com>>
>     wrote:
>      > I stumbled across the same issue when doing v02 of the SCIM/vCard
>     mapping
>      > draft. See section 6.
>      >
>      >
>     http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-greevenbosch-scim-vcard-mapping/
>      >
>      >
>      >
>      > Indeed in vCard multiple surnames, given names and additional
>     names are
>      > possible.
>      >
>      >
>      >
>      > Best regards,
>      >
>      > Bert
>      >
>      >
>      >
> [...]

Nat Sakimura (n-sakimura@nri.co.jp)
Nomura Research Institute, Ltd.
Tel:+81-3-6274-1412 Fax:+81-3-6274-1547

本メールに含まれる情報は機密情報であり、宛先に記載されている方のみに送信
することを意図しております。意図された受取人以外の方によるこれらの情報の
開示、複製、再配布や転送など一切の利用が禁止されています。誤って本メール
を受信された場合は、申し訳ございませんが、送信者までお知らせいただき、受
信されたメールを削除していただきますようお願い致します。
PLEASE READ:
The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and intended
for the named recipient(s) only.
If you are not an intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby
notified that any review, dissemination, distribution or duplication of
this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message
in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete your copy from
your system.