Re: [scim] Name Internationalization

Kelly Grizzle <kelly.grizzle@sailpoint.com> Wed, 27 March 2013 13:11 UTC

From: Kelly Grizzle <kelly.grizzle@sailpoint.com>
To: Bert Greevenbosch <Bert.Greevenbosch@huawei.com>, Shelley <randomshelley@gmail.com>, "scim@ietf.org" <scim@ietf.org>, Marc Blanchet <marc.blanchet@viagenie.ca>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 13:10:49 +0000
x-vipre-scanned: 11D02F08003FD611D03055
x-originating-ip: [72.182.10.254]
Cc: Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter@stpeter.im>
Subject: Re: [scim] Name Internationalization

I agree with Erik that this might best be handled through an extension (perhaps a standard extension).  It feels like the common case is still a single name and that i18n names/multiple names may be more of the exception than the rule.  I may be wrong, though.

> I guess this means in the JSON case, that you can put new elements anywhere you want, as long as you create a new URI and put it in the "schemas" attribute?

This is something the design team is discussing in issue #38.  It is not clearly spelled out in the spec currently, but extensions must be represented within a JSON sub-attribute named by the schema.  For example, the non-normative enterprise user example in the schema doc has this:

  "urn:scim:schemas:extension:enterprise:1.0": {
    "employeeNumber": "701984",
    "costCenter": "4130",
  },

I think this would preclude you from mixing extension attributes in with the core attributes, like this:

  "name": {
    "formatted": "Kelly Grizzle",
    "urn:scim:extendedUser.alsoKnownAs": [ ... ]
}

--Kelly