Re: [secdir] review of draft-ietf-dnsext-dnssec-gost-05

Sandra Murphy <sandy@sparta.com> Mon, 25 January 2010 22:18 UTC

Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 17:18:11 -0500
From: Sandra Murphy <sandy@sparta.com>
To: Basil Dolmatov <dol@cryptocom.ru>
Cc: Andrew Sullivan <ajs@shinkuro.com>, secdir@ietf.org, ogud@ogud.com, Ralph Droms <rdroms@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [secdir] review of draft-ietf-dnsext-dnssec-gost-05

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010, Basil Dolmatov wrote:

> Andrew Sullivan пишет:
>>
>>> BTW, we have had this discussion in SIDR, where the RPKI has a similar
>>> global scope and where Vasily had made a similar request for recognition
>>> of GOST algorithms. So far, that WG has said no, for the reasons I cited
>>> in my comments and above. The current plan there is to go with the two
>>> suite model I described above.
>>>

>> Ok.  Thanks for this; it's useful feedback.
>>
> Andrew, I, being the participant in the quoted process, want to share my
> description of what had happened and I think that it will differ to some
> extent.
>
> I noted that RPKI and SIDR implementations having exactly no possibility
> to support different protocols will definitely meet the problems, which
> DNSSec is overcoming simply by its design.
>
> Steve, in his presentation showed the technology which gives possibility
> to given AS (or group of ASes) to build entirely independent system of
> distribution of routing information from the outer world. That was
> _the_other_way_ to handle possible protocol problems, just to present
> mechanism, which allows to split whole system into several entirely
> independent protocol domains.

I disagree with this characterization of Steve's presentation.  He
presented a technique to allow a local determination of the authorization
of routing information.  His technique was not a technique for
distribution of routing information and was not independent from the
outside world.  Note also that locally originated routing information and
RPKI information would flow to the outside world without effect.

--Sandy
   (sidr chair)