Re: [sidr] Interim Meeting Dates/Locations (Proposed)

Matt Lepinski <mlepinski@bbn.com> Tue, 27 March 2012 22:20 UTC

Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 18:20:26 -0400
From: Matt Lepinski <mlepinski@bbn.com>
To: sidr@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [sidr] Interim Meeting Dates/Locations (Proposed)

Terry,

On 3/27/2012 4:22 PM, Terry Manderson wrote:
> I feel like the Monday meeting was a bit of a lost opportunity. I appreciate
> that the presenters made effort in presenting, and making slides and
> presenting ideas. However I feel like the "RPKI over Bittorrent" really
> needed focused discussion on what the problem is, and a resulting definition
> of what RPKI needs in a requirements spec to address the problems that were
> alluded (and BTW I am more than happy to help form that set of
> requirements).

I see your point here. However, I am personally very grateful to Rob for
his BitTorrent experiment. I believe that the choke point of the global
RIR repositories is a vital challenge in RPKI deployment. I think the
working group would benefit from spending significant bandwidth thinking
about this challenge and I see Rob's presentation as a very reasonable
way to get the ball rolling.

That is, this particular topic has been completely dormant on the
mailing list in the past months. Therefore, doing any kind of concrete
experiment and presenting it to the working group as a possible approach
for getting around the global-repository choke-point seems like a
valuable way to spur work/discussion on this topic.

- Matt Lepinski