Re: [sidr] Interim Meeting Dates/Locations (Proposed)

Matt Lepinski <mlepinski@bbn.com> Tue, 27 March 2012 22:20 UTC

Return-Path: <mlepinski@bbn.com>
X-Original-To: sidr@ietfa.amsl.com
Delivered-To: sidr@ietfa.amsl.com
Received: from localhost (localhost [127.0.0.1]) by ietfa.amsl.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id A389121E8085 for <sidr@ietfa.amsl.com>; Tue, 27 Mar 2012 15:20:30 -0700 (PDT)
X-Virus-Scanned: amavisd-new at amsl.com
X-Spam-Flag: NO
X-Spam-Score: -6.599
X-Spam-Level:
X-Spam-Status: No, score=-6.599 tagged_above=-999 required=5 tests=[BAYES_00=-2.599, RCVD_IN_DNSWL_MED=-4]
Received: from mail.ietf.org ([12.22.58.30]) by localhost (ietfa.amsl.com [127.0.0.1]) (amavisd-new, port 10024) with ESMTP id 39n47m8S1eyy for <sidr@ietfa.amsl.com>; Tue, 27 Mar 2012 15:20:30 -0700 (PDT)
Received: from smtp.bbn.com (smtp.bbn.com [128.33.1.81]) by ietfa.amsl.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id 2283621E8011 for <sidr@ietf.org>; Tue, 27 Mar 2012 15:20:30 -0700 (PDT)
Received: from [128.89.255.2] (port=49717) by smtp.bbn.com with esmtps (TLSv1:CAMELLIA256-SHA:256) (Exim 4.77 (FreeBSD)) (envelope-from <mlepinski@bbn.com>) id 1SCekS-000Ads-G8 for sidr@ietf.org; Tue, 27 Mar 2012 18:20:16 -0400
Message-ID: <4F723D2A.6080007@bbn.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 18:20:26 -0400
From: Matt Lepinski <mlepinski@bbn.com>
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:11.0) Gecko/20120312 Thunderbird/11.0
MIME-Version: 1.0
To: sidr@ietf.org
References: <CB985E90.23968%terry.manderson@icann.org>
In-Reply-To: <CB985E90.23968%terry.manderson@icann.org>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Subject: Re: [sidr] Interim Meeting Dates/Locations (Proposed)
X-BeenThere: sidr@ietf.org
X-Mailman-Version: 2.1.12
Precedence: list
List-Id: Secure Interdomain Routing <sidr.ietf.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <https://www.ietf.org/mailman/options/sidr>, <mailto:sidr-request@ietf.org?subject=unsubscribe>
List-Archive: <http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/sidr>
List-Post: <mailto:sidr@ietf.org>
List-Help: <mailto:sidr-request@ietf.org?subject=help>
List-Subscribe: <https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sidr>, <mailto:sidr-request@ietf.org?subject=subscribe>
X-List-Received-Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 22:20:31 -0000

Terry,

On 3/27/2012 4:22 PM, Terry Manderson wrote:
> I feel like the Monday meeting was a bit of a lost opportunity. I appreciate
> that the presenters made effort in presenting, and making slides and
> presenting ideas. However I feel like the "RPKI over Bittorrent" really
> needed focused discussion on what the problem is, and a resulting definition
> of what RPKI needs in a requirements spec to address the problems that were
> alluded (and BTW I am more than happy to help form that set of
> requirements).
>

I see your point here. However, I am personally very grateful to Rob for 
his BitTorrent experiment. I believe that the choke point of the global 
RIR repositories is a vital challenge in RPKI deployment. I think the 
working group would benefit from spending significant bandwidth thinking 
about this challenge and I see Rob's presentation as a very reasonable 
way to get the ball rolling.

That is, this particular topic has been completely dormant on the 
mailing list in the past months. Therefore, doing any kind of concrete 
experiment and presenting it to the working group as a possible approach 
for getting around the global-repository choke-point seems like a 
valuable way to spur work/discussion on this topic.

- Matt Lepinski