Re: [Sip] Outbound-10 comments

sergiole@tml.hut.fi Thu, 20 September 2007 22:26 UTC

Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 01:22:59 +0300
From: sergiole@tml.hut.fi
To: sip@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Sip] Outbound-10 comments
Cc: fluffy@cisco.com, sip@ietf.org, peter_blatherwick@mitel.com, rohan@ekabal.com

Hi,

  I composed the email below a month ago related to this thread and
thought that I was missing something so I did not posted it, but it
seems that there are some issues pending with the keepalive label and
processing.

  Sorry to introduce more questions:

--

  My comments are about the keep-stun label.

  It is not very clear how the UA discovers that the Edge Proxy supports STUN.

In section 8 (keepalive processing). I read

"   When a URI is created that refers to a SIP node that supports STUN as
    described in this section, the 'keep-stun' URI parameter, as defined
    in Section 12 MUST be added to the URI.  This allows a UA to inspect
    the URI to decide if it should attempt to send STUN requests to this
    location.  For example, an edge proxy could insert this parameter
    into its Path URI so that the registering UA can discover the edge
    proxy supports STUN keepalives."

Q1. Why "an edge proxy COULD insert this parameter into its Path URI"
and not MUST ? (considering that the UA supports STUN)

Q2. In what other header can I also add the keep-stun, so that it will
be still present when I get back a response?

Note that in the example of section 9 the responses 200-OK haven't any
keep-stun

(Also mentioned in
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/sip/current/msg20295.html)

Q3. For the case in this example, How will the Callee know that it is
allowed to send STUN keepalives? (no keep-stun present)

For the case in the example, and considering:

       "Typically, a SIP node first sends a SIP request and waits to
       receive a final response (other than a 408 response) over a flow
       to a new target destination, before sending any STUN messages."

The callee will never send the keepalives...

--
Part II

  In my opinion, the edge proxy MUST add a list of the supported
mechanisms for keepalive in the 200-OK response to REGISTER. The list
MUST include ALL the supported mechanisms (so the UA can for example
know that if some mechanism is not available for the transport it used
to register there are other mechanisms for other protocols. In this
case the UA will form a new flow by registering using another protocol.)

Example 1:

UA sends REGISTER over UDP.
It gets back a 200 OK with only keep-crlf.
UA recognizes that STUN is not available, so a UDP flow can not
succeed. Then it sends a REGISTER over TCP.

Example 2:

UA sends REGISTER over UDP.
It gets back a 200 OK with keep-crlf and keep-stun.
UA recognizes that keep-crlf is present so (its logic) can judge that
TCP is a better choice.
Then the UA forgets using UDP and switches to TCP: sends a REGISTER over TCP.

Q: Should not be handy to have something like keep-Scrlf so the UA can
knows that TLS is also supported? The same for DTLS.

Sergio

Quoting peter_blatherwick@mitel.com: