Re: [Sip] Draft agenda, SIP at IETF 72

"DRAGE, Keith \(Keith\)" <drage@alcatel-lucent.com> Thu, 17 July 2008 12:11 UTC

Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 14:11:20 +0200
From: "DRAGE, Keith (Keith)" <drage@alcatel-lucent.com>
To: Hisham Khartabil <hisham.khartabil@gmail.com>
Cc: SIP IETF <sip@ietf.org>, Cullen Jennings <fluffy@cisco.com>, Dean Willis <dean.willis@softarmor.com>
Subject: Re: [Sip] Draft agenda, SIP at IETF 72
Sender: sip-bounces@ietf.org

THERE ARE NOT INTENDED TO BE ANY PRESENTATIONS IN THE SIP AGENDA.

These are the slots we think we need to address the issues that have surfaced on the list, and where we believed face to face time would be beneficial, or where we as chairs need guidance on how to progress an item. In that respect the inclusion or exclusion of items is certainly discussable.

For all you agenda replanners out there, here are some issues to take into account.

1)    We have already missed one significant issue off the agenda which was the identity issue. Large number of drafts, large number of posts to the mailing list - that outqualifies most of the other items on the SIP WG list and in every other RAI WG without exception. If we gain an hour on agenda planning, then that item goes back in, or we fall back on our current plan of trying to have some discussion outside the main meeting.

2)    The agenda bashing time is also for 1 slide questions on WG drafts outside the main agenda. For example, I believe we have to point out the current status change of domain certs and make sure everyone is OK with that. Also pointing out that 10 minutes is excessive hurts - there are other RAI groups that take longer than this on this item.

3)    3 of the items are documents that have recently, or are currently, in WGLC. We want to get these out of the door with completion of open issues raised. If there are WGLC comments that would benefit from face to face time in addition to list discussion to complete those documents, then those documents will get agenda time. invfix already has one issue to raise. Am still waiting for editor feedback on body-handling. record-route-fix is still in WGLC with only one set of comments made so far - where are your comments?

4)    SIP is one of the larger groups and therefore the mic queues are longer. If we have scheduled the right question it takes at least 10 minutes for all the people at the mic queue to have one go at making their point, and some of you want more than one go. Attempts at asking people to be more concise don't improve the situation. Therefore one appropriate question at the face-to-face meeting takes 10 minutes to discuss.

5)    We didn't schedule the clash with DRINKS. We suffer from the problem that there are too many RAI groups, and some of them ask for more time than they need (and some of them get their requests in late!). People propose sets of groups that can meet in parallel, but seem unable to agree on the split. And then you want core meeting time for BOFs as well. SIP hasn't had time for a navel gazing agenda item for a long long time. It distresses me when SIP has thing it needs to discuss but cannot, and we see other groups scheduling an hour for an agenda item entitled "way forward" or 20 minutes for "remaining direction" without any list discussion or incoming drafts to back it up. I have no intention of asking to cancel the second SIP session. We'll move stuff from one session to the other if it is possible and the move helps people, but that is it.

regards

Keith