Re: [Sip] draft-state-sip-relay-attack-00

Jiri Kuthan <jiri@iptel.org> Wed, 25 March 2009 14:03 UTC

Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 15:04:32 +0100
From: Jiri Kuthan <jiri@iptel.org>
To: Jonathan Rosenberg <jdrosen@cisco.com>
Cc: sip@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Sip] draft-state-sip-relay-attack-00

Jonathan Rosenberg wrote:
> Rafael and others,
>
> Thanks for putting this together.
>
> Considering for a moment figure 1, this attack is possible only if UAs
> accept incoming requests from any place, and not just their proxy. In
> practice, this is seldom allowed.

Hi Jonathan,
I see two things with this argument: first being a practical, the
other normative. on contrary to what you have observed, in the SIP
deployments I'm aware of the SIP UA accept SIP from everywhere.
That I consider a poor practice, but it seems to be the case.
(perhaps a differnet market segment experience?)
It has been also utilized in the DE attack last year -- attacker
sent SIP packets directly to UAs.
www.ipcom.at/fileadmin/public/2008-10-22_Analysis_of_a_VoIP_Attack.pdf
I should be in position to do a live measurement of a quite
SIP-UA-wise heterogenous SIP service, should we need more accurate
field intelligence.

The normative argument is that a SIP UA must be prepared to receive
traffic for a dialog setup by an RFC3261 proxy, which has no
obligation to record-route, and the traffic can therefore come
from anywhere. Unless we standardize that the UAs
are behind NATs, deprecate record-routing as optional or more
seriously document BCPs (don't talk with strangers), a SIP-compliant
UA is an open invitation for unsolicited traffic.

I'm under impression that folks in this threads feel easy about
the problem because they have all sorts of workarounds -- these
however do not rely on any sort of normative reference and seem
thus rather brittle.

Possibly addressing some of these practices in a BCP could
help to sort out some of that. Actually some ITSPs I know have been
privately approaching their UA vendors and felt they have never
made progress because there was no reference for such behaviour.

-jiri