RE: [Sip] Open Issue #7: CANCEL for non-INVITE

"Drage, Keith (Keith)" <drage@lucent.com> Sun, 02 September 2001 14:50 UTC

From: "Drage, Keith (Keith)" <drage@lucent.com>
To: 'Shail Bhatnagar' <shbhatna@cisco.com>, Kim Liu <kliu@lucent.com>, Jonathan Rosenberg <jdrosen@dynamicsoft.com>
Cc: "'sip@ietf.org'" <sip@ietf.org>
Subject: RE: [Sip] Open Issue #7: CANCEL for non-INVITE
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2001 15:08:37 +0100
Sender: sip-admin@ietf.org

I would love to get the specification tidied up in this respect.

If we take Jonathans proposal, at the moment we seem to be concentrating to
much on only allowing it on INVITE. It appears to me that we should be
working in terms of those methods that are allowed to send provisional

Perhaps we could identify the following bits that should be specified

-	all methods (in the document where they are specified) should
specify whether provisional responses are allowed for that method or not. In
the bis draft they should only be allowed for INVITE.

-	we should make the text in 11.1 of the bis draft subject to this. It
seems to be general to all methods at the moment.

-	CANCEL should only be allowed on methods where provisional responses
are allowed.

-	All methods where provisional responses are not allowed should
respond "immediately" with a final response. This should probably be added
to 11.1 where the 200 ms timer is specified.

For the bis draft, this makes it the same as Jonathans proposal, but leaves
later method designers the ability to allow it or not, based on whether they
allow provisional responses or not, and keeps the bis draft as generic as
possible.

No doubt I have missed some important issues on this, but the important
thing to me is to keep as much of this as possible as generic to all
methods, including those that may be defined in the future. I want to avoid
defining exceptions to the bis draft for every method to be defined in the
future, which was the state we were in with the current text on CANCEL.

Note that, if we have to use the SHOULD NOT for sending that Jonathan seems
to be proposing to allow compatibility with existing implementations, then
it should be allowed only for those methods that are currently at RFC
status. I would prefer to have it specified as MUST NOT.

Keith

Keith Drage
Lucent Technologies
Tel: +44 1793 776249