RE: [Sipping] Re: draft-rosenberg-sipping-overload-reqs recovery

"Jean-Francois Mule" <jf.mule@cablelabs.com> Wed, 08 November 2006 22:42 UTC

Subject: RE: [Sipping] Re: draft-rosenberg-sipping-overload-reqs recovery
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2006 15:42:20 -0700
From: Jean-Francois Mule <jf.mule@cablelabs.com>
To: Volker Hilt <volkerh@bell-labs.com>, Cullen Jennings <fluffy@cisco.com>
Cc: sipping <sipping@ietf.org>

Volker wrote:
> I think that stability of overload control is an important
requirement.
> We certainly want to avoid building something that starts to oscillate
> once it reaches overload state.

Oscillations are often unavoidable in overload conditions, it's the
characterization of these oscillations (amplitude, duration, frequency,
...)  that may lead to instability.

Cullen wrote:
> back
> before

Volker added:
> It may be somehow implicit to REQ 1
> since an unstable system will hardly be able to maintain the overall
> useful throughput at a high level.

Following in Cullen's example, I interpret requirement #1 to mean: out
of the 500 cps, the system under load should pick up the *useful*
transactions to keep the using applications happy.

May be a way to help formulate Cullen's example is to introduce some
wording or requirements around oscillations or the characteristics of
the overload, and say something around the recovery time like:
the overload control mechanism should help predict the time a system
will take to recover based on the characterization of the overload?

Jean-Francois.