RE: [Sipping] Re: draft-rosenberg-sipping-overload-reqs recovery

Albrecht.Schwarz@alcatel.de Fri, 17 November 2006 07:51 UTC

Subject: RE: [Sipping] Re: draft-rosenberg-sipping-overload-reqs recovery
To: "Widjaja, Indra (Indra)" <iwidjaja@research.bell-labs.com>
From: Albrecht.Schwarz@alcatel.de
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 08:50:47 +0100
Cc: Cullen Jennings <fluffy@cisco.com>, "Dolly, Martin C, ALABS" <mdolly@att.com>, sipping <sipping@ietf.org>, Volker Hilt <volkerh@bell-labs.com>

I could be such a function, but it must not be IMHO.
I'm not sure whether you can pose a requirement itself on specific
functions or algorithms.

[The network model in clause 6.1 reminds me a little bit to overload
control mechanisms designed for intelligent networks. The "home proxy"
relates to the IN SCP, the "edge proxy" to the SSPs, etc. The problem is
very similar in many aspects. But I can't remember a requirement itself for
the convergence/adapation/stability/... functional behaviour (arround TCAP,
INAP, served user instances of INAP; or SSP/SCP internal behaviour).]

- Albrecht

                      "Widjaja, Indra
                      \(Indra\)"                     To:      "Dolly, Martin C, ALABS" <mdolly@att.com>, Albrecht SCHWARZ/DE/ALCATEL@ALCATEL,
                      <iwidjaja@research.bel         "Volker Hilt" <volkerh@bell-labs.com>
                      l-labs.com>                    cc:      Cullen Jennings <fluffy@cisco.com>, sipping <sipping@ietf.org>
                      16.11.2006 17:31

My understanding is that #22 in "drops from above the overall capacity
of the network to below the overall capacity" can take a step function.
Requirement #22 also implies that the system is asymptotically stable.
One question is whether a stronger or more specific requirement in #22
is needed such as by how much oscillation (if it occurs) should decay
after a certain period, or what is the speed of convergence. Maybe, this
is too much?

Indra