[siprec] Extension data (was RE: draft-ram-siprec-metadata-format-01)

"Elwell, John" <john.elwell@siemens-enterprise.com> Wed, 06 April 2011 08:19 UTC

From: "Elwell, John" <john.elwell@siemens-enterprise.com>
To: Scott Orton <sorton@broadsoft.com>, "Parthasarathi R (partr)" <partr@cisco.com>, "Paul Kyzivat (pkyzivat)" <pkyzivat@cisco.com>, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter@stpeter.im>
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2011 10:21:27 +0200
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "siprec@ietf.org" <siprec@ietf.org>
Subject: [siprec] Extension data (was RE: draft-ram-siprec-metadata-format-01)

I tend to agree with Scott that it would be easier to send extension data as part of the object to which it relates, rather than as a separate object.

Advantages:
1. There is no need for an identifier on the extension data, since it is always sent as part of the object.
2. When sending an updated object, it is clear by the presence or absence of extension data whether previous extension data still applies.

Disadvantages:
1. It is not possible to update the extension data without updating the entire object.

I believe the advantages outweigh the disadvantage.

John (as individual)