Re: [siprec] draft-ram-siprec-metadata-format-01

Scott Orton <sorton@broadsoft.com> Thu, 31 March 2011 16:23 UTC

From: Scott Orton <sorton@broadsoft.com>
To: "Parthasarathi R (partr)" <partr@cisco.com>, "Paul Kyzivat (pkyzivat)" <pkyzivat@cisco.com>, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter@stpeter.im>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 09:21:18 -0700
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "siprec@ietf.org" <siprec@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [siprec] draft-ram-siprec-metadata-format-01

Inline comments.

-----Original Message-----
From: Parthasarathi R (partr) [mailto:partr@cisco.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 31, 2011 10:42 AM
To: Scott Orton; Paul Kyzivat (pkyzivat); Peter Saint-Andre
Cc: siprec@ietf.org

Scott,

Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks
Partha

-----Original Message-----
From: siprec-bounces@ietf.org [mailto:siprec-bounces@ietf.org] On Behalf
Of Scott Orton
Sent: Thursday, March 31, 2011 8:59 PM
To: Paul Kyzivat (pkyzivat); Peter Saint-Andre
Cc: siprec@ietf.org

Here is some feedback on draft-ram-siprec-metadata-format-01.

In the xml schema, the group is not listed as an element in the sequence
for the recording-metadata, which conflicts with the example in 5.1.

<Partha> Agreed. I'll update in the next revision </partha>

In addition, I found it confusing that the extension data is included in
the participant type but not included in any of the other defined
elements in the recording-metadata. I think it might be good idea to
include the extension data as last element in the sequences for the
group, session, etc. As that would eliminate the need for the parent
attribute in the extension data assuming it stays close to its current
format.

<partha> It purely depend on whether extension-data has to be partially
passed across separately or not. Currently mechanism allows to pass
extension data partially within RS whereas in case it is an element
within any of the metadata block element like participant, stream then
it has to be passed across with any change in that particular metadata
block element.

<Scott> I see the advantages of it being separate for the partial update. I would just like it to be consistent. Either in each element or in none of the elements. I think the key to deciding where to include the extension data is how a partial update should treat the data. If for example in the initial metadata you send to the SRS there is extensiondata associated with the participant. Then in an UPDATE the partial metadata for the participant update the stop-time, but does not include the extensiondata. How is the SRS expected to handle the lack of extensiondata? Should it treat it as the extensiondata is no longer relevant and delete it or should it assume it is not changed. If it should treat it as unchanged then how do you delete the extension data if it is no longer relevant. Since the definition of the extension data requires at least one string there is no way to remove it. All this leads me to believe that the extension data should be part of each element and there should be no generic extensiondata element in the recording-metadata.  </Scott>

In case everyone feels that there is no need to pass extensiondata
explicitly, it realy simply the solution as there is no need another
open item like parent id within extensiondata </partha>

Regards,
   Scott