Re: [Softwires] Unified Softwire CPE: draft-bfmk-softwire-unified-cpe

<ian.farrer@telekom.de> Fri, 30 November 2012 13:22 UTC

From: ian.farrer@telekom.de
To: simon.perreault@viagenie.ca, softwires@ietf.org
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2012 14:22:12 +0100
acceptlanguage: en-US, de-DE
Subject: Re: [Softwires] Unified Softwire CPE: draft-bfmk-softwire-unified-cpe

Hi Simon,

One answer in line (I think Med covered off the rest)

Cheers,
Ian

On 30/11/2012 13:59, "Simon Perreault" <simon.perreault@viagenie.ca> wrote:

>Le 2012-11-29 11:16, mohamed.boucadair@orange.com a écrit :
>> As agreed in Atlanta, we prepared an I-D describing a proposed approach
>>for the unified CPE.
>>
>> We hope this version is a good starting point to have fruitful
>>discussion.
>>
>> Your comments, suggestions and contributions are more than welcome.
>
>Here are some:
>
>- First, I think this is very positive. I like what I'm reading.
>

>- Didn't we also consider public 4o6 as one mode? Any reason why it was
>left out?
>   - Is public 4o6 the "minor change to lw4o6" that section 4.1 hints at?
>

>- In section "3.2. Required Provisoning Information", I believe it would
>be possible and beneficial to specify only what each mode requires *in
>addition* to what the previous mode already provides. e.g.
>   - DS-Lite requires the remote tunnel endpoint address.
>   - In addition to that, lw4o6 requires the CPE's IPv4 address and port
>set.
>   - In addition to that, MAP requires mesh routes.
>So each mode's provisioning parameters would be a superset of the
>previous one. (DS-Lite < lw4o6 < MAP)
>
>One we have this kind of hierarchical provisioning, we can define CPE
>behaviour in the same way. For example, MAP behaviour would be:
>1. Do exactly what a lw4o6 CPE does.
>2. In addition to 1, also send and receive packets directly to and from
>other CPEs according to the provisioned mesh routes.
>
>(I will refrain from commenting on section 4.4 until we have the
>higher-level design figured out.)

Ian: I broadly agree with what you've said, but one use case that did
cross my mind is if you only needed to provision mesh routes to a client
with no need for a concentrator/default route. A closed machine-to-machine
type service could be an example of this architecture.

I'm not sure if it's a strong enough use case to build the provisioning
model around, however.