Re: [Softwires] Unified Softwire CPE: draft-bfmk-softwire-unified-cpe

<mohamed.boucadair@orange.com> Fri, 30 November 2012 08:07 UTC

From: mohamed.boucadair@orange.com
To: Maoke <fibrib@gmail.com>, Suresh Krishnan <suresh.krishnan@ericsson.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2012 09:06:48 +0100
acceptlanguage: fr-FR
Cc: draft-cui-softwire-b4-translated-ds-lite <draft-cui-softwire-b4-translated-ds-lite@tools.ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-softwire-public-4over6@tools.ietf.org" <draft-ietf-softwire-public-4over6@tools.ietf.org>, "softwires@ietf.org" <softwires@ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-softwire-map-dhcp@tools.ietf.org" <draft-ietf-softwire-map-dhcp@tools.ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-softwire-map@tools.ietf.org" <draft-ietf-softwire-map@tools.ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Softwires] Unified Softwire CPE: draft-bfmk-softwire-unified-cpe

Dear Maoke,

Thank you for the review and comments.

Please see inline.

Cheers,
Med

________________________________
De : Maoke [mailto:fibrib@gmail.com]
Envoyé : vendredi 30 novembre 2012 03:31
À : Suresh Krishnan
Cc : BOUCADAIR Mohamed OLNC/OLN; draft-cui-softwire-b4-translated-ds-lite; draft-ietf-softwire-map@tools.ietf.org; draft-ietf-softwire-public-4over6@tools.ietf.org; softwires@ietf.org; draft-ietf-softwire-map-dhcp@tools.ietf.org

thanks Med for the initialization of the work!

i noticed that:

1. MAP is working in the context of prefix delegation and therefore the LAN side IPv6 addresses (prefix) is involved in the mapping between the IPv4 and IPv6, while lw4over6 applies the WAN IPv6 address directly. when a unified CPE is made, the logic of the address assignment to interfaces should also consider this difference in the behaviour.
[Med] I'm not sure I understand your point. Could you please clarify further the difference between the stateless and binding mode and what you think it should be added to bullet (2.3.2) of Section 3.4? Thanks.

2. is the deployment of difference modes able to be overlapped? current section 4.4 implies the answer is "yes". i agree. but is it the best behaviour to select one mode at the device-wise according to a certain preferences? my question is: when the CPE receives multiple rules/parameter-sets from different sources of provisioning, can it store and use these pieces of information to adapt packets for corresponding mode of service, i.e., applying a proper mode on demand and session-specific?
[Med] The current text says:

   o  For a given network attachment, only one mode MUST be activated.
   o  The CPE MAY be configured by a user or via remote device
      management means (e.g., DHCP, TR-069).
   o  A network which supports one or several modes MUST return valid
      configuration data allowing requesting devices to unambiguously
      select a single mode to use for attachment.

Does this text answer your questions? If not, what you think is needed to be added? Thanks.

3. related to 2, how can we keep the CPE/BR CPE/AFTR consistency?

4. fragmentation issue is common to all modes and it is also needed to be clarified/unified for the unified CPE.
[Med] Fully agree. We preferred to focus first on the unified logic. If the WG accepts the proposed direction, then the document should be updated to cover items common to all modes.

only my 2 cents, identifying the problems that i expect this draft to cover.

- maoke

2012/11/29 Suresh Krishnan <suresh.krishnan@ericsson.com<mailto:suresh.krishnan@ericsson.com>>
Thanks Med. This is a highly exploratory draft to be used as a strawman to determine if an unified CPE is even possible. Please comment on it so that we can determine if proceeding in this path is worthwhile. Also, if you are interested in being an editor of this draft and are not currently working on any of the current solution drafts please contact the chairs.

Thanks
Suresh