Re: [straw] B2BUA handling in DTLS-SRTP [was RE: IETF#90: Draft STRAW minutes]

Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie> Thu, 30 October 2014 10:56 UTC

Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2014 10:56:18 +0000
From: Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>
To: Lorenzo Miniero <lorenzo@meetecho.com>, Parthasarathi R <partha@parthasarathi.co.in>
Cc: 'Richard Barnes' <rlb@ipv.sx>, 'Sean Turner' <TurnerS@ieca.com>, straw@ietf.org, 'Christer Holmberg' <christer.holmberg@ericsson.com>
Subject: Re: [straw] B2BUA handling in DTLS-SRTP [was RE: IETF#90: Draft STRAW minutes]

On 30/10/14 07:07, Lorenzo Miniero wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Oct 2014 05:20:37 +0530 "Parthasarathi R"
> <partha@parthasarathi.co.in> wrote:
>
>> Hi Lorenzo,
>>
>> I'm not seeing the convincing mechanism in your proposal which
>> overcome MITM issue except trusting B2BUA. The most complex
>> requirement in your e-mail is that
>>
>> <snip> " Without preventing additional mechanismsto be involved
>> for
>>> end-to-end validation of some kind, of course.
>> </snip>
>>
>> Could you please elaborate end-to-end validation in your mind.
>>

> Hi Partha,
>
> sorry, I should have been clearer about an aspect. I agree it's still
> MITM: when I said "everything else's MITM" I actually meant
> "everything else is not any different from a MITM attack", and that's
> why I believe the trust is an important aspect.

And the IETF has also decided a number of times to not MITM TLS.
The impact of making that mistake would be huge and none of the
proponents of the various MITM schemes have ever evaluated that
impact as part of their proposal. That, and the fact that changing
from a two-part to a multi-party security protocol is very very
hard are among the reasons that all such proposals so far have
been DOA.

Gratuitously throwing the misplaced word "trust" into such a
discussion does not help.

S.

> [...]
>
> The presentation was called "Requirements for Secure RTP Media
> Switching", which should at least allow for a more proper management
> of media-aware as well, for instance.  I believe there are use cases
> that justify both media-aware and media-termination in secure
> scenarios, and ignoring them will result in the same unpredictable
> consequences that lead to WGs like BLISS or STRAW itself: without
> some guide from IETF documents, developers will either drop security
> entirely (something we obviously don't want) or start doing things
> one way or another to make it work.
>
> Lorenzo
>

>> Thanks Partha
>>
>>> -----Original Message----- From: Lorenzo Miniero
>>> [mailto:lorenzo@meetecho.com] Sent: Wednesday, October 29, 2014
>>> 12:49 PM To: Christer Holmberg Cc: Parthasarathi R; 'Stephen
>>> Farrell'; straw@ietf.org; 'Richard Barnes'; 'Sean Turner'
>>> Subject: Re: [straw] B2BUA handling in DTLS-SRTP [was RE:
>>> IETF#90: Draft STRAW minutes]

>>> please indicate to on the list, so that we in Honolulu can focus
>>> on the technical aspects.
>>>>

>>> I'm not convinced that we should give up on those. Media Aware
>>> and Media Termination are part of the STRAW taxonomy, and act as
>>> if they just didn't exist doesn't seem the right thing to do
>>> IMHO.
>>>
>>> In Toronto it has been made clear that there are issues and
>>> concerns about what looked like standardizing a MITM for media.
>>> My personal feeling is that this can be considered mostly a
>>> matter of trust. The B2BUA should not necessarily be a sneaky or
>>> "transparent" component as long as participants are involved.
>>> This means that, as long as I trust the B2BUA in any scenario
>>> that involves Media Aware/Terminartion stuff, and so trust the
>>> B2BUA to secure the session on the other end or not do anything I
>>> didn't sign up for, the B2BUA is actually my "peer" in that
>>> respect. Without preventing additional mechanismsto be involved
>>> for end-to-end validation of some kind, of course. Everytihng
>>> outside of that is, I agree, MITM and shouldn't be avalled or
>>> fostered in any way.
>>>
>>> These are just some thoughts I tried to give to the idea, and how
>>> I basically changed the related text in the RTCP draft as well to
>>> try and address the issue, so I guess there will be plenty of
>>> time to bash me when I talk about this in Honolulu :-)
>>>
>>> Lorenzo

>>> Draft STRAW minutes]

>>> DTLS-SRTP milestone is to focus only on Media relay (Sec 3.1 of
>>> draft- ram-straw-b2bua-dtls-srtp-00) and removing "Media Aware or
>>> Media Termination" (Sec 3.2 of
>>> draft-ram-straw-b2bua-dtls-srtp-00).

>>> DTLS-SRTP through B2BUA. The media relay provides end-to-end
>>> security but there are challenges w.r.t NAT, forking, ICE,
>>> identity (RTCWeb IdP, RFC4474bis, etc.,) which shall be sorted
>>> out in this milestone.

>>> for Media relay handling in B2BUA. please let me know your

Draft:     N/A

Draft:     draft-ietf-straw-b2bua-rtcp

>>> the

>>> very

>>> multisource

Draft:     All STRAW deliveries

>>> grouping-
>>> may

Draft:     draft-ram-straw-b2bua-stun

>>> be

Draft:     draft-ram-straw-b2bua-dtls-srtp