Re: [Teas] terminology discussion network slicing

Igor Bryskin <Igor.Bryskin@huawei.com> Mon, 15 May 2017 16:54 UTC

From: Igor Bryskin <Igor.Bryskin@huawei.com>
To: Leeyoung <leeyoung@huawei.com>, "teas@ietf.org" <teas@ietf.org>, "adrian@olddog.co.uk" <adrian@olddog.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2017 16:51:05 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.47.153.9]
Subject: Re: [Teas] terminology discussion network slicing

Young,

If two VPNs use separate IP/MPLS TE tunnels, one misbehaved VPN can still affect the other (in either control or data planes). This is not good enough fot 5g.

If the two VPNs use separate wires/lease lines connecting PEs of the two VPNs, they would become PNs, rather than VPNs (in Soviet Union we used to say that if my grandmother would have one thing she would be my grandfather, not grandmother :=).

In 5G c0ntext we need separation of PNs and manageability of VPNs, which could be achieved with network slices - we replace wires/lease lines of PNs with L0/L1 TE tunnels provided by possibly common transport network.

Igoe