Re: [Teas] terminology discussion network slicing

Igor Bryskin <Igor.Bryskin@huawei.com> Tue, 16 May 2017 12:30 UTC

From: Igor Bryskin <Igor.Bryskin@huawei.com>
To: "Belotti, Sergio (Nokia - IT/Vimercate)" <sergio.belotti@nokia.com>, Gert Grammel <ggrammel@juniper.net>, Leeyoung <leeyoung@huawei.com>, "teas@ietf.org" <teas@ietf.org>, "adrian@olddog.co.uk" <adrian@olddog.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2017 12:27:00 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.47.154.47]
Subject: Re: [Teas] terminology discussion network slicing

Hi Sergio,

I would also like to hear more from network slicing experts.

My understanding is that the difference in the separation (in terms of control and data planes, security, etc.). For example, traditional BGP based L3 VPNs (that use provider's common control plane for their management and IP/MPLS TE tunnels to inter-connect their PEs) will probably not be able guarantee for the clients msec range connectivity setup times required by 5g, while provided by the same provider fully separated/genuinely private IP/MPLS networks (that do not share IP/MPLS control plane and infrastructure, whose network topology is supported by separate L0/L1 connections) hopefully will be able to provide such guarantees. Therefore, I define layer network slices as dynamically managed fully isolated in control and data planes private TE layer networks, which may share one or more underlying server layer networks.

Cheers,
Igor