Re: WGLC for draft-ietf-tsvwg-sctpsocket-26 started

Michael Tüxen <Michael.Tuexen@lurchi.franken.de> Sun, 27 February 2011 13:16 UTC

Subject: Re: WGLC for draft-ietf-tsvwg-sctpsocket-26 started
From: Michael Tüxen <Michael.Tuexen@lurchi.franken.de>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 14:17:07 +0100
To: "Becke, Martin" <martin.becke@uni-due.de>
Cc: "James M. Polk" <jmpolk@cisco.com>, "tsvwg@ietf.org" <tsvwg@ietf.org>

On Feb 26, 2011, at 8:40 PM, Becke, Martin wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> IMO the Socket API document is important, needed and should be progressed.
> I have implemented parts of the described API as co-author of the measurement tool netperfmeter and currently in a new library for video data transfer with a special focus on the Multi-Homing capability.
>
> IMO this draft is ready for the next step....
>
> However, here some minor Issues:
Hi Martin,

thank you very much for the comments.

> Section 3.2:
>
> - Note that this can also be done using the sctp_send() call described in Section 9.10.
>
> Perhaps it could also be noted that this is deprecated...
I changed the reference to sctp_sendv().

> Section 3.3
> The fact that a one-to-many style socket can provide access to many  SCTP associations through a single socket descriptor has important implications for both application programmers and system programmers implementing this API.
>
> ->
> This is hard to read.
> I think a comma is missing...
Inserted.

> If the reader stops reading, the sender queues messages in the socket layer until it uses all of its socket buffer space allocation creating a "stalled connection".
> ->
> For my feeling there is a word or separator missing...
Changed to
If the reader stops reading, the sender queues
messages in the socket layer until the send socket buffer is completely
filled. This results in a "stalled connection".

> Section 4.18
>
> The semantics is similar to those used in the one-to-many style (see Section 3.1.3),
>
> ->
> should be Section 3.1.4
Fixed.

> Section 5.1
> In the msghdr structure, the usage of msg_name has been discussed in  previous sections (see Section 3.1.3 and Section 4.1.8).
>
> ->
> Found no discussion in 3.1.3 -> I think that is the same as above
Correct. Fixed.

> Section 5.3.9 and 5.3.10
>
> What is  send_msg() in this context? Is this a typo?
Typo: sendmsg() is correct.

> Section 6.2.1
>
> An example where an application would like to receive data io events and association events but no others would be as follows:
> ->
> IMO there should be a comma after data...
No, I do not think so. I changed it to
An example where an application would like to receive
data_io_events and association_events but no others would be
as follows:
which should make it cleaner....

> Section 7.1
>
> len:  the size of the message or the size of the buffer.
>
> to:  one of the peer addresses of the association to be used to send the message.
>
> ->
> Upper Case
> The....
> One...
Fixed.

> Section 7.5
>
> (see Section 3.1.3).
> ->
> should be (see Section 3.1.4).
Fixed.

> Section (8.2)
>
> see Section 8.1.2 on spp_pathmaxrxt)
>
> ->
> should be
> ...see Section 8.1.12 on spp_pathmaxrxt)
Fixed.

> Section 8.14
> Posix -> POSIX
Fixed.

> Section 8.1.12
> spp_pathmaxrxt
> ->
> Just a naming, but a would expect spp_pathmaxrtx (rtx)
I too. But you can call this a deployed typo... Linux, FreeBSD and
Solaris use this name. A similar on is sasoc_asocmaxrxt...

> Section 8.1.20
>
> sctp_data_io_events
>
> -> IMO using plural of sctp_data_io_event  is not needed.
Fixed.

> Section 8.1.27
> At most one socket being bound to  the same port may be listening.
> ->
> Mmmh..I'm not sure what is behind this
We only want a single listening socket on a port.

> Section 8.3.1
>
> The order of the explanation of sspp_addr and  sspp_assoc_id should be switched
Fixed.

> Section 8.3.2
>
> Add a Chunk That Must Be Authenticated (SCTP_AUTH_CHUNK)
>
> ->
> I'm not sure if this is the correct usage of upper and lower case.... (that must be)
Fixed.

> Section 9.11
>  addrs:  is an array of addresses.
> ->
>  addrs:  Is an array of addresses.
Fixed.

> ->
> I would switch the order of sctp_recvv() and sctp_sendv().
> Most the used pattern is send/recv-like
Fixed.
> ->
> Check the draft for  association id and   association ID.
> The usage is not consistent.
Fixed. Using association identifier.