Re: [Txauth] Key handle vs client id & handle

Justin Richer <jricher@mit.edu> Mon, 13 July 2020 13:48 UTC

From: Justin Richer <jricher@mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2020 09:48:29 -0400
Cc: txauth@ietf.org, Mike Jones <Michael.Jones=40microsoft.com@dmarc.ietf.org>
To: Dick Hardt <dick.hardt@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Txauth] Key handle vs client id & handle

The problem I have with this approach is that it artificially encodes two, and only two, tiers of client within the protocol needlessly. In my experience with systems that support dynamic registration, it’s not a black and white world like that. There are clients who can present :some: form of proof that they’re legit, but they haven’t been statically registered with the AS. (See MODRNA and OBUK, for instance.) There are clients whose identities are tied explicitly to the current user (like a Solid pod). There are clients who are “statically” registered but through a developer-facing portal, vs clients that are registered through an admin-only interface.

As you say below, if the AS needs to differentiate between classes, it can decide to do so based on the key or identifier and the policies associated with it. I disagree with encoding these two tiers, or any tiers, into the protocol itself. This is ultimately a matter of the AS and its policy. In OAuth 2 there is no differentiation between a “static” or “dynamic” client ID, and yet an AS today can still differentiate between them — because it knows the context in which the client ID was generated. It’s the same with the “key handle” concept in XYZ: the AS knows where the handle came from and can apply different policies regardless.

Now, it’s a bigger question what the “handle” refers to. XYZ started with it being tied to “all client software information” and then broke it into pieces, with the “key” portion being the cornerstone piece. While I still think this makes sense, I think that’s something that GNAP needs to figure out with more input from the community than just my own experience.

 — Justin