Re: [v6ops] 464xlat case study (was reclassify 464XLAT as standard instead of info)

Mark Andrews <marka@isc.org> Tue, 26 September 2017 23:45 UTC

To: "Heatley,N,Nick,TQB R" <nick.heatley@bt.com>
Cc: IPv6 Ops WG <v6ops@ietf.org>
From: Mark Andrews <marka@isc.org>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2017 09:44:40 +1000
Subject: Re: [v6ops] 464xlat case study (was reclassify 464XLAT as standard instead of info)

In message <LO1P123MB0116A19599D13DB643BBB3E3EA7B0@LO1P123MB0116.GBRP123.PROD.OU
TLOOK.COM>, "Heatley,N,Nick,TQB R" writes:
> Mark, What is this encapsulation solution?

DS-Lite or MAP-E.

> There is no running code for this on client devices, as far as I know -
> regardless of whether we set various vendors' "junior developers" on
> various parts of 3GPP core stack.

Well there is running code for both DS-Lite and I'm pretty sure
there is running code for MAP-E.  Millions of broadband CPE routers
do DS-Lite today.  Given the rate phones get broken, which is the
only reason Apple can get away with their aggressive deprecation
strategy, if you deployed to day you would have a very large deployed
base in 3 years.

Remember the phone and operator can support NAT64/DNS64 and DS-Lite
and/or MAP-E at the same time and the operator can see with a 100%
accuracy which devices support DS-Lite or MAP-E as they advertise
the fact that they do.  This allows the operator to see when legacy
NAT64/DNS64 population gets low enough for it to be switched off.

Alternatively they can play APN games.

> The alternative for an operator concerned with exhaustion of private
> addressing, is to start running overlapping copies of the private address
> ranges; for different customer segments or data centres or regions of the
> network.
> I am deadly serious about this, this is what operators have done. This
> comes with or without IPv6, because if you have to run v4 why add in a
> second address family?

Because the operating cost get higher and higher.  Because you still need
to add more public IPv4 addresses as your customer base increases.

> I guess you will be happy with this outcome because you believe NAT44 CGN
> is superior to NAT64 CGN. But I think you are missing the point.
> As others have stated, your perceived issues are all problems tied to
> IPv4. I have a way that drives IPv6-only in my network.

You have a way that puts costs on everyone else.  It isn't the only way.

DS-Lite is a IPv6-only solution all the way to the end device.
MAP-E is a IPv6-only solution all the way to the end device.

DS-Lite and MAP-E both support tethered devices.
DS-Lite the device doesn't perform NAT on the IPv4 traffic.
MAP-E the device needs to NAT the IPv4 traffic in the MAP address/port range.

Mark