Re: [v6ops] I-D Action: draft-ietf-v6ops-nat64-srv-00.txt

Martin Huněk <martin.hunek@tul.cz> Tue, 12 March 2019 22:21 UTC

From: Martin Huněk <martin.hunek@tul.cz>
To: Fred Baker <fredbaker.ietf@gmail.com>
Cc: IPv6 Operations <v6ops@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2019 23:21:15 +0100
Subject: Re: [v6ops] I-D Action: draft-ietf-v6ops-nat64-srv-00.txt

Yes, I suppose so. However it is not actually change in respect to RFC7050. It
also expects network has NAT64 deployed by checking ipv4olny.arpa.

But I guess that I should explicitly wrote there what should happen in case
there is only NAT64 SRV pointing to the ".". In this case the NAT64 is not
present, so end node should not to continue with NAT64 detection (even by
means of RFC7050).

Idea is that it should track those changes by itself. Basically, your DNS stub
or recursive resolver tries after the boot/connection detect NAT64 at your
upstream (by detecting local domain and asking for SRV for
_nat64._ipv6.<domain>). So from your example:

1) When having only HE tunnel, your ISP would not provide you with NAT64
service either. It would also be irrelevant as you have IPv4.
2) After you have got native IPv6, your ISP can provide you with NAT64. Your
router with DNS resolver can detect it via SRV record and use upstream DNS64
or do DNS64 itself based upon detected prefix.
3) When the upstream NAT64 prefix changes, your resolver would eventually
discovers that because TTL of SRV record.
4) When you would prefer to run NAT64 locally then you would set up also DNS64
and make your computers to use it.

If you want the DoH to work with NAT64, you would need to have an actual
domain and have NAT64 SRV record pointing to your prefix. This is not a
problem in the network of a larger organization, but it would not
unfortunately solve DoH vs DNS64 problem for small residential networks after
CPE. I've just realized it while replying to you. But at least it solves that
for those with domain. Maybe it could also work with some service like DynDNS
but with SRV, I would have to think about that little more.

Martin