Re: [v6ops] Enterprise Guidance on IPv6 (draft-chkpvc-enterprise-incremental-ipv6-00)

Tina TSOU <Tina.Tsou.Zouting@huawei.com> Mon, 25 June 2012 17:41 UTC

From: Tina TSOU <Tina.Tsou.Zouting@huawei.com>
To: Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>, Fred Baker <fred@cisco.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 17:40:01 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.212.245.70]
Cc: IPv6 Operations <v6ops@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [v6ops] Enterprise Guidance on IPv6 (draft-chkpvc-enterprise-incremental-ipv6-00)

In the assumptions, it is mentioned to provide native IP wherever possible. If the native IP is IPv6, it contradicts the sentence "want to minimize level of disruption". If native IPv6 is to be provided in the enterprise network, the devices have to be upgraded to support IPv6. Only devices which has are already support IPv6 would not have to be upgraded, what about the rest of the devices? Should their software be upgraded or should NAT64/transition be used at first and then slowly the entire network migrated to native IPv6.

In the phased approach, the two statements for implementation of IPv6 in the internal network does not provide strong reasons for deploying IPv6 internally. The statements about deployment of IPv6 in the internal enterprise should indicate the increasing need of the number of IP address internally in a company. As IPv6 is enabled by default in all operating systems, deploying IPv6 internally would not be a very difficult task. The priority always goes to external network first and simultaneously should be implemented in the internal networks. Else if it is not simultaneously done, again transition technologies need to be configured in the edge routers for communication between the external and internal networks.

In analyzing the network infrastructure stage, more than just IPv6 capable, the device should be checked for support of the applications required by the enterprise. There are routers that do not support MPLS VPN over IPv6, but are ipv6 capable. Thus, only being IPv6 capable is not enough, unless it is ensured its firmware supports the required applications over IPv6.

Address plan: Specifying change in A DNS records to quad A records is also important. So that when DNS query is made, appropriate DNS reply is ensured.

Tools and assessment: Not only the monitoring tools should be checked for IPv6 enable, the devices running these tools should also be checked for memory. IPv6 applications will need more memory to store 128 bit addresses. The processing logic might also demand more processor memory.

"will likely time time "-----Page 13, second last para ( some correction)

While using PI for advertising routes, the routes when advertised to two upstream providers should have route filters to distribute traffic in the two paths according to business requirements.

Provider may introduce challenges since traffic utilizing a given PA
assign block would be expected to flow tears the assigning provider
for entry to the Internet. (Excepted to flow tears)?  Didn't get the meaning of the line.

In the planning stage of deployment of IPv6, as far as possible native IPv6 should be employed. Transition technologies should be used only in impossible cases. Transition technologies poses security threat and complexity, and thus does not serve the true purpose of IPv6 deployment in the network.

Tina
@ 2001:db8:1:ffff:e8e2:7822:9d12:e12e