Re: [VCARDDAV] Questions about text handling in vCard 4.0 (rev 11)

Simon Perreault <simon.perreault@viagenie.ca> Mon, 05 July 2010 13:14 UTC

Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2010 09:13:03 -0400
From: Simon Perreault <simon.perreault@viagenie.ca>
To: Daisuke Miyakawa <d.miyakawa@gmail.com>
Cc: vcarddav@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [VCARDDAV] Questions about text handling in vCard 4.0 (rev 11)

On 2010-07-05 09:00, Daisuke Miyakawa wrote:
> I think "undefined" does not help actual receivers. They will have to
> cope with real senders which often have some bugs. Almost all of the
> bugs are unexpected, but some can be, like this time. At least, we are
> able to reduce the possibility of ambiguity now.
>
> When my developing a receiver for vCard 3.0, I found some really
> well-known sender  (please let me make the application's name secret..)
> encoded texts wrongly using '\', and I had to decide on how to handle
> it, as receiver's behavior was "undefined" while actually it is easily
> detected.
>
> I don't think just one tiny mistake in sender side should make receivers
> confused.

Can you please suggest text for what you have in mind? Probably a
sentence or two to be added at the end of 3.3...?

> This time, on the other hand, we cannot see the value without encoding
> (" \x3000 " is much easier to read than "   "). Making the ambiguity
> around spaces and control characters visible is feasible enough, I suppose.

I disagree again. If you are using a given character in a sentence,
whether it is visible or not, it is because you intend the recipient to
read it. Otherwise, the character would not be useful and would not be
present. For example, in this paragraph I used many spaces which are
invisible and I don't think we would gain anything by replacing them
with \x20 in a vCard. We are encoding user-readable text in vCard, not
random bits.

Thanks,
Simon
--