Re: [websec] Coordinating Frame-Options and CSP UI Safety directives

Tobias Gondrom <tobias.gondrom@gondrom.org> Mon, 09 July 2012 23:23 UTC

Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 00:23:26 +0100
From: Tobias Gondrom <tobias.gondrom@gondrom.org>
To: bhill@paypal-inc.com, websec@ietf.org
Cc: public-webappsec@w3.org
Subject: Re: [websec] Coordinating Frame-Options and CSP UI Safety directives

Brad,

thank you for your email.

<hat="WG chair">

I agree that, now that WebAppSec is finally also operational, we maybe
should revive the discussion between WebAppSec and Websec about what
topics should be done where. Either on WG level, or initially on WG
chair level to develop a proposal to present to the WGs to decide on.
Please note, this coordination goes both ways: discussing which features
should be done in WebAppSec and which should better be done in Websec.

This may also mean we revive the discussion we had on where to do
Frame-Options.

But just to be clear about the facts of the current status, it seems I
need to correct one of your statements in your email, which may
otherwise be a little bit misleading:
(Fortunately, I keep all my communication emails and minutes well
preserved in an archive to be later able to refresh my memory. ;-) )
In fact, initially, between the founded Websec WG  and the still nascent
WebAppSec WG the communication was already clearly about how to go
forward with Frame-Options (removing the "X-" and improvements) and
doing that in Websec and the conclusion at that time then was to do it
as a draft in websec and not in CSP, which evidently happened as it was
removed from the initial CSP draft and the frame-options draft was
created. This was not about documenting the current behaviour as you
might suggest in your email, if I read your statement correctly.
In fact, it was only recently, a couple of months ago, that actually
Thomas Roessler and Jeff Hodges proposed to also document the existing
(old/current) behaviour of X-Frame-Options in addition to the worked on
Frame-Options draft in one of our IETF WebSec WG meetings - see here:
http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/81/minutes/websec.txt  Only as a
consequence of that we started the X-Frame-Options draft to document the
current behaviour, too.

However, of course any past decision to do FO in websec does not
necessarily mean it would be the only option forward to keep FO
(Frame-Options) in WebSec.

FYI: After the Frame-Options (and X-Frame-Options) drafts were initially
handled as individual submissions, the WebSec WG adopted the documents
as WG drafts:
tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-websec-frame-options-00
(previously: http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-gondrom-frame-options-02)
tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-websec-x-frame-options-00
(previously: http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-gondrom-x-frame-options-02)

If you feel Websec is not the right place for FO and that this should
instead be integrated into CSP (and possibly moved to WebAppSec), it is
ok to have that discussion, again. However, based on the past decisions
and the current status, I like to invite you to lead this discussion
about possibly moving FO from Websec to WebAppSec primarily on the
Websec WG mailing-list, as running one discussion on two separate
mailing-lists can be confusing at best.

Thank you,

Tobias
(co-chair of websec)