Re: An IETF repository for working code in our protocols?

"Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com> Wed, 19 August 2020 16:19 UTC

Subject: Re: An IETF repository for working code in our protocols?
To: Vijay Gurbani <vijay.gurbani@gmail.com>, adrian@olddog.co.uk
Cc: wgchairs@ietf.org, Martin Duke <martin.h.duke@gmail.com>
From: "Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2020 12:19:05 -0400

I would be very concerned about the IETF appearing to endorse particular
implementations by archiving the source.
I would be much more comfortable with Adrian's suggestion of pointers to
implementations that wish to be listed (open source or otherwise).

In terms of your concern about wiki maintenance, archives of source are
in my opinion worse, since they will not have any fixes made after the
archive.

In terms of visibility, I do not see why an archive is better than a
wiki page.  Neither should be called out in the RFC, since they are
transient.

Yours,
Joel