Re: [wpkops] X.509 whitelist proposal

Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie> Fri, 18 July 2014 12:03 UTC

Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2014 13:02:54 +0100
From: Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>
To: tony@yaanatech.com
Cc: pkix@ietf.org, wpkops@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [wpkops] X.509 whitelist proposal

Hi Tony,

Seems like an odd proposal all right.

Technically, I'd say it could do with a lot more work before
it'd be ready for prime time. For example, if a node only
wants to talk to a few others, why are there so many CAs or
"delegators" involved. Seems a bit silly to me tbh but maybe
I'm not getting the use-case. Its also obviously pretty much
an outline rather than a worked-out proposal. I'd also have
thought this likely to be sorted at another layer, e.g.
within CoAP maybe, where pre-shared keys with DTLS will be
common, and where there would as a result be no PKI at all.

Process wise, from the IETF perspective, I think we no longer
care really. While we used work closely with the ITU-T folks
on X.509, I've not really seen any benefit from that myself
for some years now. And afaik anyone who cares just implements
from RFC 5280 anyway so changes to X.509 are pretty much fine
to ignore.

But I'd be interested in hearing if there are in fact IETF
participants who continue to think its important that we pay
attention to these kinds of changes to X.509. And, if you do,
then please say what if anything you think we ought say about
such changes proposed within ITU-T. (On or off-list is fine.)

Cheers,
S.