Re: [wpkops] [T17Q11] SV: [pkix] X.509 whitelist proposal

"Erik Andersen" <era@x500.eu> Fri, 18 July 2014 12:46 UTC

From: Erik Andersen <era@x500.eu>
To: trutkowski@netmagic.com, tony@yaanatech.com, stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2014 14:46:42 +0200
Cc: pkix@ietf.org, Directory list <x500standard@freelists.org>, wpkops@ietf.org, 'SG17-Q11' <T13sg17q11@lists.itu.int>
Subject: Re: [wpkops] [T17Q11] SV: [pkix] X.509 whitelist proposal

Hi Tony,

I have no intention to submit a contribution without the permission from the
Danish ministry. I would be killed.  Before I can submit it, it has to be
approved by two different Danish authorities. The agreement is that I first
distribute it among experts to get any constructive comments that could
improve the proposal before getting it through the approval process within
Denmark.

One use case is as follows:

An electrical substation (e.g. transformation) has many interconnected
entities. One of these entities is the contact to the outside world. If
something happens within the substation, the situation has to be detected,
commands have to be sent to other entities that that have to process the
command and react to the commands. All this must happens within 10 ms. False
commands would be disastrous in this environment, so authentication is
necessary, but there is no time to validate a long certification path, to
consult OCSP, etc. It is an environment very different from a browser
environment and old solutions do not work here.

Kind regards,

Erik