Re: [xmpp] Consensus Call on Adoption of POSH

Alexander Holler <holler@ahsoftware.de> Thu, 30 January 2014 08:47 UTC

Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 09:46:41 +0100
From: Alexander Holler <holler@ahsoftware.de>
To: Ben Campbell <ben@nostrum.com>, XMPP Group <xmpp@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [xmpp] Consensus Call on Adoption of POSH

Am 06.01.2014 23:07, schrieb Ben Campbell:

> (as chair)
>
> Hi,
>
> The XMPP working group has a chartered work item for enabling multi-domain hosting and server connection sharing.
>
> Matt has been working on POSH for a while now, as an enabler for that work. POSH is not currently expected to get its own working group, and no other working group is chartered for that work. Several people have proposed that, while POSH may have general applicability, XMPP is the group that needs it, and therefore XMPP should adopt it. It is further proposed that, we would try to keep it reasonably general, but would focus on XMPP related requirements.
>
> Should we adopt https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-miller-posh/ as a working group item in support of the aforementioned chartered work? Keep in mind that acceptance does not mean the work group thinks the draft is absolutely correct or complete. It merely means that we think that the draft is a good start towards the milestone.
>
> Please send your opinions to the XMPP working group by Jan 20.

Why does it use JSON and not XML? This makes it necessary to use another
parser besides the XML-parser already available in http- and
xmpp-clients and servers.

And if uses JSON, please make sure to define how comments will have to
look. Last time I looked at the JSON spec, it didn't know comments,
something I have no comment for. ;)

Regards,

Alexander Holler