Re: [yam] Issue #10: RFC 5321 3.9: add tiny subsection

Alessandro Vesely <vesely@tana.it> Mon, 07 December 2009 10:49 UTC

Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2009 11:50:16 +0100
From: Alessandro Vesely <vesely@tana.it>
To: Ned Freed <ned.freed@mrochek.com>
Cc: yam@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [yam] Issue #10: RFC 5321 3.9: add tiny subsection

Ned Freed wrote:
>> Section 3.4 is titled "Forwarding for Address Correction or
>> Updating".  The tiny change you suggested might end up causing confusion.

A .forward is not actually an alias, in facts. However, 3.9.1
doesn't say what reply code should be returned (250 or 251) for
aliases, and an implementation may accept foreign addresses for
aliasing. Does _this_ cause confusion?

>>>I agree that "Backup MX" is a poor title, and I apologize for having
>>>transferred it as-is from my notes to this list. Its most notable
>>>defect is that it does not include smart hosts nor other servers
>>>along the outgoing path. I'd amend the tentatively proposed titles to be
>>>
>>>   Forwarding
>>>     Relaying   <-- "Backup MX" was here
>>>     Aliases
>>>     Mailing lists
>>>
>>>The relationship among these server's activities may now be clearer.
>
>> Quoting Section 3.4:
>
>>    "Forwarding support is most often required to consolidate and simplify
>>     addresses within, or relative to, some enterprise and less frequently
>>     to establish addresses to link a person's prior address with a
>>     current one."

IMHO, support for changing address is inadequate in most
implementations.

> Even if I were to grant that there's a close equivalency between backup MX
> handling and alias expansion - which I don't - what was the confusing
> aspect of this and how does this change help eliminate that confusion?

Recovering a sound definition of the term "forwarding" is the main
purpose for that change.

One common facet among foreign backup MXes, address changes, aliases
expansions, and mailing list is that they treat personally
identifiable information, namely the substituted email addresses.
Most implementations don't comply with the spirit of privacy laws,
in that they don't allow the owners of that data to inquiry or
change it directly. Obviously, I don't think that it would be savvy
or feasible to embrace privacy laws into the RFC. However, I note
that although most privacy laws have been formalized after SMTP,
they are based on the same common sense as RFC 821. Noncompliance
apparently stems from the introduction of virtual users, and
obscurely-subscribed mailing lists (a.k.a. spam).

If 5321bis could factor the circumstances where possible
infringements may formally occur, it might be easier to define some
SMTP extension, add-on protocol, or mixture thereof in order to fix
that. For an underdeveloped attempt see http://fixforwarding.org