Re: [6lowpan] FW: TID in ARO [was: "Advertize on Behalf" flag in ARO]

Erik Nordmark <nordmark@acm.org> Fri, 15 April 2011 16:38 UTC

Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 09:38:32 -0700
From: Erik Nordmark <nordmark@acm.org>
To: "Pascal Thubert (pthubert)" <pthubert@cisco.com>
Cc: 6lowpan@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [6lowpan] FW: TID in ARO [was: "Advertize on Behalf" flag in ARO]

On 4/14/11 11:43 PM, Pascal Thubert (pthubert) wrote:

> RPL can do what all classical IGPs can do WRT hosts. That is as long as
> the host address belongs to the router's prefix and stays attached to
> that router.

I just realized that we might be talking about a different definition of
"host". What I mean by "host" is a node which does not participate in a
routing protocol, and does not forward packets (except packets
explicitly addressed to itself using e.g., a routing header).

However, RPL has a different definition:
    'host' refers to an LLN device that can generate but does not forward
    RPL traffic

Basically per the RPL definition there is no such thing as a node which
does not participate in the RPL protocol.
IMHO what is in RPL should have been defined as a non-forwarding node,
so that we can have a sane discussion without getting entangled in
terminology issues.

Which definition of "host" are you using above?

Per the RPL definition there is no need for 6lowpan-nd, since all nodes
will speak RPL. This is rather confusing, don't you think?

    Erik