Re: [art] Against BCP 190

Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com> Tue, 23 July 2019 05:33 UTC

To: masinter@gmail.com, 'S Moonesamy' <sm+ietf@elandsys.com>, 'Rob Stradling' <rob@sectigo.com>, art@ietf.org
From: Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2019 01:33:20 -0400
Subject: Re: [art] Against BCP 190

I write the following in my role as the area director holding the
BCP-190-related discuss that Larry mentions below.

On 7/23/19 00:17, masinter@gmail.com wrote:
> I don't understand
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-trans-rfc6962-bis/ballot/
> 5 DISCUSS on a document targeted to be Experimental where most of the
> objections
> don't seem to meet the criteria for raising a DISCUSS on a standards-track
> document.
> https://www.ietf.org/blog/discuss-criteria-iesg-review/#stand-disc
> much less Experimental.
> I'm especially baffled by the use of BCP 190 (which documents some
> guidelines)
> as somehow "blocking" anything in IESG Review.

Thanks, Larry, for raising these questions. I think it's important that
everyone understands the situation that has arisen, and you've done a
good job of crystallizing a couple of topics that I'm sure several other
people are also concerned about.

Although a bit of a diversion, I do want to address your point about
discuss criteria before I get into the status of BCPs in general and BCP
190 in particular (at least as I understand them; I welcome feedback if
people believe I'm off-base in my assertions). While I hesitate to
litigate the list of "discuss criteria" you cite -- in large part
because it is self-disclaimed by language that it is merely exemplary
and "cannot be an exhaustive list" -- this specific situation does have
a bullet point in that list that reads, at least in spirit, on the topic
at hand. To wit:

> The IETF as a whole does not have consensus on the technical approach
> or document. There are cases where individual working groups or areas
> have forged rough consensus around a technical approach which does not
> garner IETF consensus. An AD may DISCUSS a document where she or he
> believes this to be the case. While the Area Director should describe
> the technical area where consensus is flawed, the focus of the DISCUSS
> and its resolution should be on how to forge a cross-IETF consensus.

In this specific case, the IETF wrote down consensus around the general
principles of stewardship for the URI namespace, and then a working
group without charter to deal with that topic came to a decision
contrary to that consensus.

I want to make sure that everyone involved in this conversation is clear
on a relevant role that BCPs play. BCP documents have the same level of
maturity and receive the same level of scrutiny as Standards Track
documents. Their normative statements authoritatively govern the topic
they deal with -- at least, within the confines of IETF process -- until
updated or obsoleted. Normative statements in BCPs are not mere
guidelines; they are the documented and carefully-considered will of the
responsible community. This is the mechanism the IETF has to make
durable and binding decisions. Without that ability, we would waste a
significant quantity of time re-litigating topics about which we had
already reached conclusions.

That said, "durable" is not the same as "permanent", and it has been
five years since the publication of BCP 190. It is reasonable for the
community to revisit earlier decisions in the presence of additional
experience. I welcome the discussion of whether a revision is warranted
at this time, and encourage interested parties to present their
positions politely, factually, and unemotionally.

Importantly, I do not think that I am allowed to stand out of the way of
what appears to be one working group deciding to set aside established
IETF consensus without buy-in from the responsible stakeholders. I
believe that I would be derelict in my obligations as an area director
in charge of the relevant area if I were to do so. If BCP 190 needs
revision, that decision needs to come out of the ART community as a
whole, not out of a single SEC-area working group with a charter
unrelated to URI design and ownership.

I want to be ultra clear: I am not blocking this document because I feel
any specific way about the provisions of BCP 190. I am blocking this
document because the IETF has made a decision, and we need to either
abide by it or revise it.

/a