[Asrg] Iteration #3.

"Chris Lewis" <clewis@nortel.com> Fri, 05 February 2010 19:10 UTC

Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2010 14:10:45 -0500
From: Chris Lewis <clewis@nortel.com>
To: ASRG <asrg@ietf.org>
Subject: [Asrg] Iteration #3.

We've more-or-less reset the discussion to emailing ARF reports (most
people are satisfied with emailed ARF reports without other options)..

I think we need to reset it again, yet further.  The reason being that
the discussion touches too many pieces at once, and the
security/practicality issues of remotely-specified ARF destinations are
obscuring the fact that why bother with specifying them at all?  Let the
user's ARF handling service do it.  We need to very specifically
disentangle MUA/MTA functions and simplify yet again.

So we get rid of inband abuse report instructions altogether.

I propose two specifications:

1) a spec for MUAs that says nothing more than "if the TiS button is
pushed, the selected email[s] get sent in ARF format to <some standard
address>, via the usual mail submission methods it uses".  I recommend,
so as to not stomp/overload existing naming conventions, that it be
"arf@arf.<domain in the RCPT TO that reached the user>".  Or, "ar", or
whatever.  I don't care what it is (if you really don't want to use
"arf") as long as it doesn't collide with existing conventions and
standards.  Eg: IMAP/POP/SMTP/SPAM et. al. are unacceptable.

This also allows <domain> to use DNS to map them to somewhere else entirely.

Then,

2) a followon spec that specifies what goes on at arf@arf.<domain>" in
terms of remote report forwarding (if any).  Rather than relying on
inband ARF destination signalling, I think we should consider doing
something with DNS ala SPF/SenderID and DKIM.

Astute readers will notice that (1) is a trivially simple MUA hack, and
that (2) isn't necessary for many installations wanting TiS info (for
filter tuning) and don't forward them anywhere.