Re: [Asrg] No, we're not going to define spam

Alessandro Vesely <vesely@tana.it> Mon, 29 June 2009 10:24 UTC

Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 12:25:10 +0200
From: Alessandro Vesely <vesely@tana.it>
To: Anti-Spam Research Group - IRTF <asrg@irtf.org>
Subject: Re: [Asrg] No, we're not going to define spam

John Levine wrote:
>>I suspect that if we are not even able to agree on a definition of
>>spam, there will never be much efficient anti-spam research by our
>>group.
>
> The world hasn't agreed on a definition of spam in 20 years, and I see
> no reason to think that anything has changed that would make it
> possible to do so now.

The European directives on privacy arrived around the turn of the
century, so they are new in that respect. They may have all the
defects that European directives usually have, but provide
definitions. Not for spam, as I mentioned upthread; however, spam can
be treated in that framework.

> Fortunately, all of the popular definitions (UBE, UCE, UBCE, mail
> recipients don't want) in practice tend to describe roughly the same
> mail.

I'd say they just largely overlap. I'd guess one line of disagreement
would be what kind of well behaved direct marketing, if any, should be
considered non-spam. That is, whether the "U" in the above definition
may be considered implicit, on the argument that recipients cannot
solicit something whose existence they ignore.

MRDW (I'd propose to pronounce it "mérde-u", if that's the correct
acronym for the last definition), although practical, is horrible.

I'd also add botnet/zombie generated, spam to that list.

>  So my suggestion is that documents discussing anti-spam
> techniques say which definition they're using, if it matters, and
> leave it at that.  Readers specifically don't get to complain that
> it's the wrong definition.

+1

That way, at least, we know what we're talking about. In addition,
this suggestion leaves room for an eventual informative paper listing
those popular definitions.