Re: [auth48] AUTH48: RFC-to-be 9262 <draft-ietf-bier-te-arch-13> for your review

Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de> Fri, 09 September 2022 18:19 UTC

Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2022 20:19:12 +0200
From: Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de>
To: Lynne Bartholomew <lbartholomew@amsl.com>
Cc: Alvaro Retana <aretana.ietf@gmail.com>, bier-chairs@ietf.org, gengxuesong@huawei.com, RFC System <rfc-editor@rfc-editor.org>, tte+ietf@cs.fau.de, gregory@koevoo.tech, bier-ads@ietf.org, menth@uni-tuebingen.de, auth48archive@rfc-editor.org
Subject: Re: [auth48] AUTH48: RFC-to-be 9262 <draft-ietf-bier-te-arch-13> for your review

Hi Lynne, Alvaro, *

a) Sorry for not having replied to the last set of questions, i got half through it
and pulled into something with strict deadlines, should be avble to get back in the next days.

b) Wrt to replacing "native". I hereby reject to change the use of the word "native",
and encourage you to use whatever form of escalation you feel is appropriate for this,
whether it is simply overruling me or whatever process we have.

Reasoning: Simply looking at fairly recent 1000 RFC8xxx.txt, there are
113 RFC that have 487 instances of "native foobar", where foobar is a wide range of
IETF terms, ranging from topology, IP, multicast, MPLS, protocol, frame, etc. pp.
And the rfc9xxx.txt series is similar.

I do not want to take responsibility of individually coming up with a non-widely-used,
randomnly picked up replacement term for one single RFC, when native is so widely used,
and therefore has such a high utility for our documents.

I think replacing the use of that term if it needs to be done anyhow (which i don't think)
has to be done by broader consensus or executive decision making. And by introducing some
mechanism to create similar consistency in terminology that we now have through the word
native.

I am for example sure that Andrew would be happy to make an executive decision
(if he is entitled to) to not use native anymore in IETF documents given all the horrible
 stories about how the use of the word native in any social context is highly problematic
in Africa, but I certainly do not want to make any such decision, and i don't think it is appropriate
to make this word change during AUTH48.

So, please escalate ccordingly, because this is already the second RFC in which this
concern was raised, and we need to come to some conclusion of how to proceed.

I am happy to open a thread on ietf@ietf.org or whereever you think is appropriate
to bring this topic to a wider audience.

Cheers
    toerless

--
---