Re: [Bimi] (non)desire for bimi

Richard Clayton <richard@highwayman.com> Thu, 14 February 2019 18:52 UTC

Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2019 18:50:36 +0000
To: "bimi@ietf.org" <bimi@ietf.org>
From: Richard Clayton <richard@highwayman.com>
Subject: Re: [Bimi] (non)desire for bimi

In message <BL0PR11MB3107E380194F10A297485BBCA9670@BL0PR11MB3107.namprd1
1.prod.outlook.com>, Terry Zink <tzink=40terryzink.com@dmarc.ietf.org>
writes

>    That heavily depends upon implementation. A web bug, as I
>    understand it, helps to track user behavior - did the user open up
>    my mail? While I concede that BIMI could be used this way, it's not
>    a particularly effective way to do it. It would require setting up
>    a lot of DNS records, and then being able to stand up
>    infrastructure that can handle all those requests.

... and surely marketing people would never do that ?+

>    Most large receives wouldn't serve up a BIMI logo from the actual
>    location pointed to by headers/DNS records each time they needed
>    it. Instead, they'd periodically poll the logos/certs they need,
>    upload them into a local database, and then pull from there.

Please explain how they would "poll the certs they need" ?

I understand that they might cache certificates that they had already
fetched once, but that's not the same thing at all.

How do they know what certificates they need a priori ? is it just for
the brand owners who have sent them cheques to pay for the display of
their logo ??

>    So, as
>    a sender/brand, you might send out 100,000 messages to a single
>    receiver and intend to use BIMI to see how many people interacted
>    with the message. But in reality, you might see only 1 request -
>    the one where that receiver saw it needed your logo and then
>    downloaded it after verifying it. And then 30 days later, you saw
>    them download it again.

the way you would get tracking (and of course mess up the caching
behaviour by the mail receiver) would be to use a different (sub)domain
for every email...

... so if you wish to forbid this (or make it expensive) you need
language about wildcard certificates.  Where do I find that in the spec?

>    So, while a web bug is a possible concern, a large receiver (and I
>    would think even a medium sized one) would have to make use of more
>    efficient architectural implementations to make the web bug
>    concerns a minor one on the list of things to worry about.

the reverse -- without protocol restrictions the large receiver would be
worried that their caching architecture was subject to attack

- --
richard                                                   Richard Clayton

Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin 11 Nov 1755