RE: Proposed response to OIF on OSPF ENNI

Dimitri.Papadimitriou@alcatel.be Tue, 25 July 2006 18:01 UTC

To: "Ong, Lyndon" <Lyong@Ciena.com>
Cc: Adrian Farrel <adrian@olddog.co.uk>, ccamp@ops.ietf.org, "Brungard, Deborah A, ALABS" <dbrungard@att.com>, "Sadler, Jonathan B." <Jonathan.Sadler@tellabs.com>, owner-ccamp@ops.ietf.org
Subject: RE: Proposed response to OIF on OSPF ENNI
From: Dimitri.Papadimitriou@alcatel.be
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 19:54:23 +0200
Sender: owner-ccamp@ops.ietf.org

lyndon - indeed this is mentioned - the concern here can be formulated as
follows: section 1.2 of the OIF IA is unclear about positioning and exact
intention with the proposed extensions (in Appendix)

"These extensions use codepoints in the range reserved by IANA for private
and experimental use, and are not agreed standard codepoints at this time.
Future developments may result in change to the codepoints and/or formats
of these extensions."

you wrote: "the statement on codepoints in the appendix was not intended
as a statement that the prototype codepoints are expected to become
standard; it is recognized that IETF (and ITU) are the
standards-generating bodies. This was a general statement allowing for
changes or extensions in future experimental activities."

the fact that the sentence combines "at this time" and points to potential
"standard codepoints" means that we have to warn OIF about implication
i.e. if OIF intents to change their status (toward standard codepoints)
then the extensions will be de-facto subject to the MPLS/GMPLS change
process from the IETF perspective

ps: this is also the reason why there is a direct relationship between
objective of the document (see previous post) and listed extensions -

"Ong, Lyndon" <Lyong@Ciena.com>
Sent by: owner-ccamp@ops.ietf.org
25/07/2006 18:55

        To:     Dimitri PAPADIMITRIOU/BE/ALCATEL@ALCATEL, "Sadler,
Jonathan B." <Jonathan.Sadler@tellabs.com>
        cc:     "Adrian Farrel" <adrian@olddog.co.uk>,
<ccamp@ops.ietf.org>, "Brungard, Deborah A, ALABS" <dbrungard@att.com>,
<owner-ccamp@ops.ietf.org>

Hi Dimitri,

I completely agree with you that there is much unnecessary hubbub
going on.  The document does in fact point to IETF (and ITU) for
standard extensions to the routing protocols.

From the discussion I have the sense that there is some unhappiness with
the
document focusing on requirements that are still in the process of being

addressed within CCAMP, but since it points to the drafts being done
here
if anything it should focus reader's attention on the work here in CCAMP
rather than anywhere else.

Cheers,

Lyndon