Re: [Dart] Commentary on draft-york-00

Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no> Thu, 12 June 2014 18:19 UTC

Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2014 20:19:53 +0200
From: Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
To: "Black, David" <david.black@emc.com>, Ben Campbell <ben@nostrum.com>
Cc: "dart@ietf.org" <dart@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Dart] Commentary on draft-york-00

On 06/12/2014 05:57 PM, Black, David wrote:
> Harald,
>
> This explanation helps (thank you):
>
>> 3.4.  Multiple RTP Sessions over one Media Transport
>>
>>     [I-D.westerlund-avtcore-transport-multiplexing] describes a mechanism
>>     that allow several RTP Sessions to be carried over a single
>>     underlying Media Transport.
> [... snip ...]
>
>> The -westerlund- draft expired this April. I have not heard of anyone
>> pursuing it.
> I believe that the westerlund-avtcore draft was the indirect source of
> draft-york's assertion that multiple RTP sessions could be mixed on a
> single 5-tuple.  In correcting that statement to say that RTP sessions
> cannot be mixed on a UDP 5-tuple, would it be reasonable to make note
> of that expired draft's proposal, possibly via a reference to the
> avtext-taxonomy draft?

I'd ask the chairs of avtext / avtcore for guidance on that.

If they don't see any more action on this front in the near future, I
would prefer to say as little as possible about the possibility - it
might happen in the future, it might not happen at all, or it might
happen in a fashion which makes whatever we say about it now be wrong.

If they don't see any action happening in the near future, the reference
should be removed from -taxonomy- too, of course.