[dhcwg] Dual-stack hosts using DHCP (was Re: [dhcwg] draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-nisconfig-05.txt)

Ralph Droms <rdroms@cisco.com> Mon, 15 March 2004 23:11 UTC

Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 18:06:19 -0500
To: dhcwg@ietf.org
From: Ralph Droms <rdroms@cisco.com>
Subject: [dhcwg] Dual-stack hosts using DHCP (was Re: [dhcwg] draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-nisconfig-05.txt)
Sender: dhcwg-admin@ietf.org

<wg_chair>
In the interest of forward movement, I would like the WG to pick up the
conversation about dual-stack issues around the two specific drafts
draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-sntp-00 and draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-nisconfig-05.
</wg_chair>

<wg_member>
After re-reading draft-ietf-dhc-dual-stack-00 and considering the discussion
of dual-stack issues at the WG meeting in Seoul, I find myself in agreement
with kre's analysis (included below).

Fundamentally, there is a problem here that rightfully belongs in the
administrative or management policy in the host itself.  A host
may receive configuration information from a variety of sources: PPP,
RAs (IPv6), well-known addresses for services, SLP, DNS SRV RRS, DHCP,
manual configuration, etc.  The host itself may be connected to multiple
physical interfaces or multiple logical interfaces (e.g., VPN).

I can imagine constructing multiple plausible scenarios in which
the host would use configuration information from multiple
sources in different ways.  And, looking at the problem from the
DHCP point of view, there is no way for the DHCP server to
determine how the host is configured, and, therefore no way
for the DHCP server to determine the right way to deliver
the configuration information to the host.

Therefore, it seems to me the right thing to do is for the
various sources of configuration information to operate
independently, allowing the host to make any decisions about
integrating the information from the various sources.

In the case of DHCP, I think the right thing to do is to
keep DHCPv4 and DHCPv6 separate, so the host treats information from
DHCPv4 and DHCPv6 as arriving from different sources, and makes its
own decisions about how to integrate the information.

In the case of draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-sntp-00 and
draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-nisconfig-05, the right thing to do would
be to carry only IPv6 address in these options, leaving the
decision about how to use those addresses up to the
receiving host.
</wg_member>

- Ralph