RE: [dhcwg] draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-nisconfig-05.txt

Mark Stapp <mjs@cisco.com> Mon, 09 February 2004 23:27 UTC

Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2004 18:19:34 -0500
To: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
From: Mark Stapp <mjs@cisco.com>
Subject: RE: [dhcwg] draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-nisconfig-05.txt
Cc: Ralph Droms <rdroms@cisco.com>, Bernie Volz <volz@metrocast.net>, 'Ted Lemon' <mellon@fugue.com>, dhcwg@ietf.org
Sender: dhcwg-admin@ietf.org

for a number of reasons (or accidents, depending on your point of view and
memory), dhcp has focussed on transmitting configuration information. it
has not developed a client api that would allow arbitrary applications to
get at the information. it has not developed server configuration database
schemas or apis that would allow information to be configured into
arbitrary servers in a consistent way. because it has focussed on
transporting configuration data, dhcp has become extremely widely deployed
and is a very successful ietf protocol. perhaps some think that that
sentence should read "in spite of that, ...". the ietf has blessed some
configuration protocols which addressed some of the problems that dhcp has
skipped, but none of those has been very successful.

there are hard problems in developing an application-level dhcp api, and
we've invested our time elsewhere. among the hardest of the problems is
that all existing applications do not use the missing dhcp client api, so
there's been little demand for it. and if we were to spend years developing
one, we would also have to replace all existing applications before the api
would be consistently used. unlike some working groups I could name, we
have looked at that situation and decided not to do work that would have a
very high opportunity cost and would not be worthwhile.

a hypothetical dhcp client api might allow applications to register their
interest in dhcp options, so that the dhcp client would ask for them as it
interacted with the dhcp server(s). the api would also allow an application
to retrieve the values the server(s) sent back. there are problems, like
what to do when an option used by a running daemon changes its value. and
should the dhcp client be willing to generate INFORMs initiated by any
user-level application? some os's offer some sort of application-level
support, some do not. it might be difficult to get dhcp clients deployed
that offered a standard api, or it might be welcomed with open arms by os
vendors - I don't know.

here's what happens, mostly. someone approaches the wg, having identified
some information that their application needs, and having found a way to
get the information that they need into their version of an application on
at least one os. we have pretty much limited our role to helping make the
dhcp option sensible and configurable so that servers can distribute it to
the clients who can use it. we expect that the clients who can use it will
ask for it. we don't mandate that all clients start asking for it. and we
don't make the folks who've approached the wg tell us how they do what they
do. they're solving a problem they have, and we're helping them. in some
cases, the options don't get used much. in other cases, distributing the
information via dhcp, which is so very available, is so compelling and
useful that other folks figure out how to use the data too.

as we move towards first a dual-stack and then, eventually, a v6 world, it
might be helpful to client implementors if we worked on an
application-level api. but I'd sort of want to hear that from the client os
and application vendors, so that there'd be some hope that the thing would
actually do something useful.

we have specified a consistent way to carry this nis information in a
dhcpv6 message. we have not insisted that all nis application clients
retrieve the information in the same way, or that all v6 dhcp clients
export some sort of api that would make that possible. you can insist that
we do so before allowing this particular option to move on, but I don't see
much value in that. if the iesg wants us to develop a dhcp client api,
that's another matter, and we should talk about that on another email thread.

-- Mark