Re: [dhcwg] Fwd: Call for Adoption, draft-troan-dhc-dhcpv6-stateful-issues-00 as WG item

Leaf yeh <leaf.y.yeh@huawei.com> Thu, 19 April 2012 12:10 UTC

From: Leaf yeh <leaf.y.yeh@huawei.com>
To: Ted Lemon <Ted.Lemon@nominum.com>, DHC WG <dhcwg@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 12:07:19 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.70.39.132]
Cc: Bernie Volz <volz@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [dhcwg] Fwd: Call for Adoption, draft-troan-dhc-dhcpv6-stateful-issues-00 as WG item

I've read through this informational document and am interested in its progress in the WG. +1 for the adoption. I believe the numbered (WAN model) CPE is a well-known and necessary case in broadband access (referred to BBF TR-177), which needs the support of multiple stateful options (eg. 1x IA_NA for its WAN interface & 1x IA_PD for the subscriber network) in DHCPv6.

Comments and questions:

1. The document sounds need more text on the scope of the status codes. (Section 3.2, section 3.6)
<quote>In Advertisement messages the Status code option with the NoAddrsAvail code is in the "global" scope.</quote> – Globe?
<quote>NoPrefixAvail is only applicable to IA_PD, and NoAddrsAvail is only applicable to IA_NA/IA_TA, it may be problematic to make this assumption for all status codes. </quote>  - What does the 'problematic' means here?
<quote>For backwards compatibility, the IA_NA status code can be kept in the global scope. </quote> - Globe?
<quote>For the IAs that the server has no binding for, it must reply using the same behaviour as for a Request message. That is with a "NoAddrsAvail" status. (As opposed to the currently specified NoBinding). </quote> - Status code change here?

2. Confirm message (section 3.4)
<quote>It is encouraged to use Renew instead of Confirm. </quote> Per RFC3633, DHCPv6 don't use Confirm & Decline message in PD process. Will we try to adopt these messages back again?

3. Decline message (section 3.5)
No text about Decline message in section 3.5 yet.

Best Regards,
Leaf