Re: [dispatch] [AVT] Proposal to form Internet Wideband Audio Codec WG

"DRAGE, Keith (Keith)" <drage@alcatel-lucent.com> Thu, 04 June 2009 10:00 UTC

From: "DRAGE, Keith (Keith)" <drage@alcatel-lucent.com>
To: Dan York <dyork@voxeo.com>, "dispatch@ietf.org" <dispatch@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2009 12:00:34 +0200
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "avt@ietf.org" <avt@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [dispatch] [AVT] Proposal to form Internet Wideband Audio Codec WG

I would argue that G.711 is implemented, not because anyone can implement it, but because everyone else has implemented it. It essentially forms the lowest common denominator for interoperability. If fancy codec x doesn't work, then assuming you have the bandwidth availabile, G.711 probably will. And I suspect it is royalty free not because it was always so, but because any IPR that existed has pretty much expired by now.

G.711 is also the one codec that is probably the most neutral to transcoding. I can do to codec A to G.711 and back to codec A with less impact that with any other intermediate codec.

For wideband there probably is not any one codec that has achieved that position.

I don't believe building a better, even royalty free codec, will guarantee a position in the market place. The world is littered with better solutions that never made it. You need a market where everyone chooses to implement it so that you can use that codec without having to go to transcoding. Pasting IETF on the front cover does not achieve that.

I don't really have a problem with people trying to sit down and design a new codec and IETF then publishing it. Without some other selling point however it just becomes yet another codec competing for market place. As such, put it somewhere where it does not interfere with other work. Sticking it on a separate mailing list, and not letting it compete for valuable IETF face to face slots as a working group is fine.

regards

Keith