Re: [dispatch] Identity Adhoc - Nov 9th: Notes available

Hadriel Kaplan <HKaplan@acmepacket.com> Wed, 18 November 2009 19:12 UTC

From: Hadriel Kaplan <HKaplan@acmepacket.com>
To: Jon Peterson <jon.peterson@neustar.biz>, Jiri Kuthan <jiri@iptel.org>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 14:11:49 -0500
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "dispatch@ietf.org" <dispatch@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [dispatch] Identity Adhoc - Nov 9th: Notes available

Forget the NAT traversal piece, or even media steering, and just tell me what signing the IP Address/port in the SDP buys you.  Not the whole SDP, just the IP/ports.  Imagine if the media IP/ports were in a SIP header, and tell me why we MUST sign that header to get "SIP Identity".

My claim is signing those IP/ports is neither necessary nor sufficient for the purposes of SIP Identity nor media identity.  It's an emperor with no clothes, except we end up getting the bill for the clothing.

It is not sufficient because it does not prove the authenticity and identity of the media.  And I don't just mean in an academic sense of "prove".  Not only can the media IP/ports still be spoofed and even intercepted - but nothing prevents me from just sending media from another address/port to get you to listen to my advertisement, instructions to call my number to "verify your credit card", or whatever.

Only a media-plane mechanism will be sufficient for media identity, such as DTLS-SRTP.

It is not necessary because, given a mechanism such as DTLS-SRTP (which *is* necessary for the property of media identity), signing the IP/ports is superfluous.  It's making the mistake of confusing IP with an identity, vs. a routing identifier. (ie, the argument HIP makes)

-hadriel