Re: [dispatch] Identity Adhoc - Nov 9th: Notes available

Jiri Kuthan <jiri@iptel.org> Tue, 17 November 2009 08:27 UTC

Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 09:27:22 +0100
From: Jiri Kuthan <jiri@iptel.org>
To: Jon Peterson <jon.peterson@neustar.biz>
Cc: dispatch@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [dispatch] Identity Adhoc - Nov 9th: Notes available

Jon Peterson wrote:

> I was not arguing against NAT traversal, actually. From the start of the
> SIP identity work, we considered support for NAT traversal as a
> requirement. Of course, the authors of RFC4474 assumed that something
> roughly like ICE would take over this role, and obviously the deployment
> situation is bit more complicated (we similarly hoped that GRUU would
> make it unnecessary for intermediaries to modify Contact headers, and so
> on). Regardless, I still believe we need to have a reasonable story for
> how an identity mechanism will accommodate NAT traversal.
>
> To rehash arguments that have circulated in this discussion many times,
> one must distinguish the NAT traversal case from the "media steering"
> requirement that has motivated much of the re-examination of identity.
> RFC4474 signatures are applied not by the user agent (at least not in
> the typical case), but rather by a server operated by the user agent's
> administrative domain. The administrative domain can more or less modify
> signaling arbitrarily before adding an Identity header per RFC4474.
> Thus, some sort of intermediary that modifies SIP signaling for the sake
> of NAT traversal can work with RFC4474, provided that the intermediary
> acts before the Identity header is added.
>
> While it can therefore be argued that RFC4474 does not rule out
> intermediary-based NAT traversal entirely, it does protect against any
> intermediary altering SDP once a request has left the originating
> administrative domain with an Identity header.
> The "media steering" use
> cases that challenge this design are predicated on an intermediary with
> no necessary relationship to the originating or terminating
> administrative domain unilaterally modifying SDP in transit, usually in
> order to force layer 3 routing of media to pass through one or more
> anchor points in a network - perhaps for the sake of drawing the traffic
> across a managed circuit with carefully-managed quality, or to
> facilitate lawful intercept, or what have you. It is that requirement
> which I have consistently argued is equivalent to exposing this
> mechanism to a man-in-the-middle attack.

how is that different from a MiTM attacking SDP on the path from UA
to a 4474-enable proxy?

>   If we removed enough
> protections in the design of RFC4474 to enable media steering by "good"
> intermediaries, we are effectively also enabling any malicious entities
> to change those aspects of SIP requests as well.

I'm wondering if  RFC4474 can prevent MiTM as it is not  guaranteed to provide
end-to-end protection in the typical case.

> I do not find the requirement for NAT traversal unacceptable, but I do
> consider the requirement for media steering highly dubious at best.

Some while ago I would have thought that in this typical case there
are two administrative zones under respective control with a pipe in
between. Then it shall be manageable to put a SDP-manipulating closer
to UA than 4474 processing. In the meantime I think it became hard to
find a SIP path which in between two 4474 entities has nothing that
rewrites SDP.

-jiri