[dnssd] Pete Resnick's Discuss on draft-ietf-dnssd-requirements-05: (with DISCUSS)

"Pete Resnick" <presnick@qti.qualcomm.com> Fri, 13 March 2015 17:47 UTC

From: Pete Resnick <presnick@qti.qualcomm.com>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2015 10:47:49 -0700
Cc: draft-ietf-dnssd-requirements.all@ietf.org, dnssd@ietf.org, dnssd-chairs@ietf.org, tjc@ecs.soton.ac.uk
Subject: [dnssd] Pete Resnick's Discuss on draft-ietf-dnssd-requirements-05: (with DISCUSS)

Pete Resnick has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-dnssd-requirements-05: Discuss

introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to http://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html

http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnssd-requirements/

DISCUSS:

[Updating to reflect that the IPR disclosure issue is addressed. There is
an IPR disclosure that appears for this document, but it was a mistakenly
filed disclosure that still remains in the system. We will deal with that
issue separately.]

Section 5:

OLD
   Devices on different links may have the same mDNS name (perhaps due
   to vendor defaults), because link-local mDNS names are only
   guaranteed to be unique on a per-link basis.  Also, even devices that
   are on the same link may have similar-looking names, such as one
   device with the name "Bill" and another device using the similar-
   looking name "Bi11" (using the digit "1" in place of the letter "l").
   This may lead to a local label disambiguation problem between
   presented results.

   SSD should support rich internationalized labels within Service
   Instance Names, as DNS-SD/mDNS does today.  SSD must not negatively
   impact the global DNS namespace or infrastructure.

The part about name collisions is fine, and should be said. The part
about disambiguating similar characters is a rat's nest I really think
you need to avoid. We can discuss this further, but the i18n community is
dealing with this issue right now and it's a mess you really don't want
to get into. I think you should simply stick to something like this:

NEW
   Devices on different links may have the same mDNS name (perhaps due
   to vendor defaults), because link-local mDNS names are only
   guaranteed to be unique on a per-link basis. SSD needs to deal with
   name collisions beyond local link considerations.

   SSD should support rich internationalized labels within Service
   Instance Names, as DNS-SD/mDNS does today and should look to work in
   using internationalize strings in application protocols
   [soon-to-be-RFC-draft-ietf-precis-framework].  SSD must not
   negatively impact the global DNS namespace or infrastructure.