Re: [Driu] Resolverless DNS Side Meeting in Montreal

Patrick McManus <pmcmanus@mozilla.com> Sat, 28 July 2018 16:32 UTC

From: Patrick McManus <pmcmanus@mozilla.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2018 12:32:02 -0400
To: Patrick McManus <pmcmanus@mozilla.com>, DNS Privacy Working Group <dns-privacy@ietf.org>
Cc: Ben Schwartz <bemasc@google.com>, Daniel Kahn Gillmor <dkg@aclu.org>, DoH WG <doh@ietf.org>, driu@ietf.org, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>, dnsop <dnsop@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Driu] Resolverless DNS Side Meeting in Montreal

 Hi All -

This is a wrap-up email for the Resolverless DNS meeting held on July 16 in
Montreal. We had, by my rough count, about 50 people and two sets of
minutes are attached. If you attended, contributed, or took minutes (Thanks
Shane and Ben!) thank you - it was, imo, a productive, professional, and
even pretty focused discussion.

We identified a next step: using an AD sponsored list (See Below!),
identify one minimal context or use case that provides value for using DNS
information without direct recursive resolver contact, and enumerate the
concerns and potential mitigations for those concerns. If we can focus on
that and make some progress then we might have a proposal for a future BoF
- if we cannot make progress then that is also telling.

Adam and Warren have setup a list for us to use. I apologize to the various
working group's cc'd on this so far (and thank them for their indulgence) -
future communications should move to the new list.

New List Info

-Patrick