Re: [dtn-interest] Document status check

Michael Demmer <demmer@cs.berkeley.edu> Thu, 29 July 2010 17:04 UTC

Sender: demmer@gmail.com
From: Michael Demmer <demmer@cs.berkeley.edu>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 10:03:59 -0700
To: "Ivancic, William D. (GRC-RHN0)" <william.d.ivancic@nasa.gov>
Cc: "dtn-interest@maillists.intel-research.net" <dtn-interest@maillists.intel-research.net>
Subject: Re: [dtn-interest] Document status check

Alternatively the implementation just signals this constraint up from
the convergence layer to the bundle layer which engages the bundle
fragmentation mechanism to break large bundles up into smaller
ones. That was my original design intent for DTN2, but I never got
around to implementing it.

This is analogous to ethernet or other link layer MTU causing IP to
fragment large packets.

One could clearly design other convergence layers over UDP with
features such as fragmentation/reassembly, reliability, congestion
control, etc. From what I recall Saratoga is an example of just such a
protocol. But that doesn't mean there isn't room for a simple
datagram-based convergence layer as well.

-m