Re: [dtn] rfc5050(bis) proposed revisions

"Ivancic, William D. (GRC-RHN0)" <william.d.ivancic@nasa.gov> Fri, 20 June 2014 20:00 UTC

From: "Ivancic, William D. (GRC-RHN0)" <william.d.ivancic@nasa.gov>
To: "Templin, Fred L" <Fred.L.Templin@boeing.com>, "dtn@ietf.org" <dtn@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2014 20:00:12 +0000
x-originating-ip: [139.88.242.146]
Subject: Re: [dtn] rfc5050(bis) proposed revisions

Fred,

Implementations may not have been the best  word choice, but there is a
lot of "How"  in  bpv7.  What I meant was that Scott's propose revisions
probably do not belong on the BOF this list. It could quickly lead to
discussions of specification changes and where pieces should go which is
currently should occur on dtn-interest.  Those should IMHO occur after the
BOF, not before and not on the BOF list.   Removing dictionary.  Sort of
specifying an addressing scheme (URL usage), Hop count as extension block,
how to do bundle security, etc... are better served on dtn-interest at
this point in time.  Just my opinion.   By the way, I'm not saying these
are wrong, just that they do not belong on the BOF list.

I think the BOF list is suppose to be about
"What exactly and specifically should this group be working on if an IETF
dtn working group is formed?"
"Should IETF form a working group?",
"Are the protocols at a state where they are ready for IETF standard or is
there more work that should be done in IRTF?"
"Is there sufficient energy to get meaningful work done?"

So we should be addressing "What", not "How".

FYI:  Anyone list participant can get  information on who subscribed to an
IETF mail list if they remember their password (and you can ask for your
password to be resent). These lists are setup to be open, so the
participation list is not just available to the administrators. At least
that is my recollection and it has always worked for me.  Also, since
anyone can sign up, basically, with minimal effort, anyone can see who
subscribed to an IETF list.

If you go to dtn-interest and compare to dtn, the dtn-interest as far more
participants.

Will