Re: [Enum] RFC1530 (TPC.INT)

Richard Shockey <rshockey@ix.netcom.com> Fri, 23 February 2001 03:24 UTC

Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 22:11:18 -0500
To: "A.M.Rutkowski" <amr@netmagic.com>, Stephane Alnet <salnet@cisco.com>, enum@ietf.org
From: Richard Shockey <rshockey@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: [Enum] RFC1530 (TPC.INT)
Cc: mrose@dbc.mtview.ca.us
Sender: enum-admin@ietf.org

At 09:44 PM 2/22/2001 -0500, A.M.Rutkowski wrote:
>At 07:05 PM 2/22/2001, Richard Shockey wrote:
>>TPC.INT was a useful experiment ..nothing more.
>
>Stephane,
>
>An alternative view.
>
>TPC.INT was not only an incredibly innovative protocol and use
>of the Internet's distributed entrepreneurial properties by
>two of the Internet's most celebrated developers, it was a
>political statement if not movement heard around the world
>when it was first announced at Interop in 1994.

Really Marshall Rose is going to love this ..  YO Marshall ..were you
making a political statement or were you just trying to save a buck or two.

>Lycos hotbot currently gets nearly 10,000 hits in every corner
>of the globe for TPC.INT and its services are still relied
>upon by a great many people, albeit apparently not by Richard.

HA >>  I would not equate hits on Lycos to use of service..... your
expansion of reality to serve your narrow political interest continues to
astound and amaze me.

>The Phone Company's fax bypass and remote paging services
>were a statement to the ITU and it's highly structured
>PTO communities, that a set of autonomous entities could
>independently organize themselves to provide telco
>services.  Needless to say, it caused considerable
>consternation in some quarters that led to a subsequent
>largely ITU Secretariat let effort to tuck some kind of
>formal ITU designated e164 zone under INT.

Are you really serious ... some smart guys wanted to save some money and
have some fun in the process.

>TPC.INT's leadership also inspired a broadbased
>IP Telephony movement - the results of which we see
>today.

Pardon me  list readers I have to go put my hip waders on to deal with this BS.

>--tony

Richard Shockey, Senior Technical Industry Liaison
NeuStar Inc.
1120 Vermont Avenue N.W., Suite 550, Washington DC. 20005
Voice: 202.533.2811,  Cell : 314.503.0640,  Fax: 815.333.1237
<mailto: rshockey@ix.netcom.com> or
<mailto: rich.shockey@neustar.com>
<http://www.neustar.com>